Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single parents

Options
  • 17-01-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I am a single parent who takes my son down Friday, Saturday & Sunday night.

I went to my wages today and I am now down around 300 a month cause only 1 parent gets the single parent credit cause of some new thing implemented.

I am wondering as my ex is has 2 other kids with her husband would I be able to get her to give me the credit so that it would not effect her?

I would love some feedback
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

there is something else amiss if you are down 300 a month - the One-Parent Family Credit was €138 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inspector Dhar

Your ex-missus shouldn't be getting this credit. Its the Single Person Child Carer. If she's married... she's not single! My wages were down €50 a week on the first payday of January & when I recovered from the shock, I rang Revenue. I had to fill out a form blah blah, but the credit is being reinstated & a refund is being made.
    They introduced this change to stop 2 parents claiming the credit for the same kids. So, op, in your case, there should be nobody claiming that credit, so you should get it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

if you were earning enough you would be down €208 per month (138 in credit and 70 in decreased band)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Frank Boggins

Ok so if my ex ius married and I take my son down 3 nights a week and give maintenance I should be due this tax releif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

im glad you brought this up

I was on revneue.ie the other night and the option to claim one parent tax credit for 2014 was availble to me and i put this through. Then today i got a mail to say it has been applied to me for this year.

A friend told me today that they had taken it away from fathers last year and that i might be taking this away from my child mother by claiming which is clearly not what i want to do so i quickly rang revenue today to get it taken off but the guy i was speaking to said that the change that happend last year isnt an option to claim online and that you actually have to fill out a form and confirmed that what i claimed im eligible for and that there was nothing else on my account that might be of issue.

Can anyone else confirm this as it did say single parent tax credit and im worried i might be taken something im not entitled to or worse away from my childs mother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Ok so if my ex ius married and I take my son down 3 nights a week and give maintenance I should be due this tax releif

No, she's married and therefore not entitled to it, so she can't transfer it to you because she won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Just a question on this.
    What if the relief was taken from the father but the mother doesnt work?
    She gets social payment, does she get more on social payment or does the money just go back to the government or whereever?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

sham69 wrote: »
    Just a question on this.
    What if the relief was taken from the father but the mother doesnt work?
    She gets social payment, does she get more on social payment or does the money just go back to the government or whereever?
    Thanks.

In that case you may be able to get it if she signs it over to you (edit: Although the fact that she's not working may mean she doesn't qualify for it herself?)

However, depending on the maintenance arrangements you have, what payments she's getting etc you may then end up being pursued for even more money.. there's been threads in the parenting forum about father's being chased to pay back the money the Welfare is paying their ex. This money doesn't then go to the child either.. it goes back into state coffers.

I might send them off a querie.
    Thanks for the reply.

or even a query.. ;)

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

First pay packet of 2014 arrrived today, stomach sank to the floor when i opened it.
    Nett decrease of 175.10 per month, :(
    Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

If you log into revenue.ie and on the home page, top right hand side is site search box. Input spccc into search box and it will give you the low down on the single person child carer credit.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    If you log into revenue.ie and on the home page, top right hand side is site search box. Input spccc into search box and it will give you the low down on the single person child carer credit.

Thanks , I read that.
    Didn't really explain what happens when person is not working or wasn't clear at least.
    Or maybe I just didn't understand it.

I sent them a question via email so hopefully will get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Its a tax credit. If the mother/primary carer is not working, it is of no use to them and the other parent can claim it.

MouseTail wrote: »
    Its a tax credit. If the mother/primary carer is not working, it is of no use to them and the other parent can claim it.

As long as:

- The primary carer agrees to sign it over (which I'd say depends on how civil things are)

- The primary carer isn't married again themselves (in which case they aren't entitled to it)

But.. as it's a tax credit not an allowance, wouldn't the primary carer have to be working themselves (and thus paying tax) in order to be entitled to it in the first place?

Either way this measure will be a massive blow to many responsible single fathers when their wages come through in the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    But.. as it's a tax credit not an allowance, wouldn't the primary carer have to be working themselves (and thus paying tax) in order to be entitled to it in the first place.

No -- she is still entittled ; just not in a position to claim -it's covered in the FAQ on revenue.ie

No -- she is still entittled ; just not in a position to claim -it's covered in the FAQ on revenue.ie

I stand corrected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 irishcoffee1

question on this please - my salary was down approx 200 as well, which I assume is because we separated back in March last year and am no longer under joint assessment. But then calling revenue, I might be eligible for the SPCCC which would boost up my take home payment. Ex is on social welfare payment and am just wondering if by me applying for the tax credit, will have any negative impact on any of her payments.

On the revenue site, it says that one cannot be married to be eligible for it (unless separated). So even if you are still legally married, you should be eligible for it as long as separated?

Any help on this is appreciated.

Advertisement