Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you buy a bull that is pbnr?

Options
  • 17-01-2014 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

just wondering, i wouldnt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Yeah had one here for yrs fabulous animal brought some calves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

No but I wouldn't buy a cow like that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

Do it all the time for mopping up, sell all progeny though, declared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I suppose if I knew and trusted the vendor. Otherwise you wouldn't be sure what ya were getting.
    We don't reg any of the PBs this few years, so any bull we were using was PBNR.
    The new lad in waiting is the same. Probably a better looking bull than his predecessor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

theres a pbnr fr bull 3 years old on dd for 1850, thought it was a bit steep. I would have thought a pbnr would be cheaper thean pbr:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

biddy2013 wrote: »
    theres a pbnr fr bull 3 years old on dd for 1850, thought it was a bit steep. I would have thought a pbnr would be cheaper thean pbr:confused:

Into a slatted shed and get 2 for that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Yes, have done it and worked out ok, but that's with sucklers, not dairy cows.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

if I knew the person selling and believed him that the bull was say Mas Du Clo and he was out of a good cow and looked the part id chance him but at a discounted price of course.. itll show on icbf if he is not 100% PB anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭visatorro

did last year as two bulls were lame and the other fella turned out to have more interest in walking into brick walls than cows in heat! the pbnr was outta a good cow and a very good herd I bought him for 1000 he covered 45 cows and I got 1100 in factory for him. I wont have luxury of selling offspring but hopefully they'll pay their way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

I haven't but I never quite understand why the owner doesn't reg them as in years of tougher trades they have a better chance of selling - especially as reg is relatively cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭knockmulliner

biddy2013 wrote: »

i have but as said already would want to trust the breeder was honest, and check the bull on ICBF himself and for inbreeding against your own stock. I would be wary or a 3 yo. As they get older fr. Get more contrary. That bull looks dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

ya i would . if he looks good i would buy him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Have 7 heifers out the hill and they stone wall mad bulling.. I let an ADX Pbnr lim bull off with them today ... Rattled one going in the gate.. He'll be flat out !

Might sell some of these, they be calving 2nd week of Jan onwards .. I may just have them scanned in calf and sell him in May/June to someone looking for bull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Bodacious wrote: »
    Have 7 heifers out the hill and they stone wall mad bulling.. I let an ADX Pbnr lim bull off with them today ... Rattled one going in the gate.. He'll be flat out !

Might sell some of these, they be calving 2nd week of Jan onwards .. I may just have them scanned in calf and sell him in May/June to someone looking for bull

Adx is a good bull and diffentely a wise decision . you will save alot of money on AI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Gillespy

delaval wrote: »
    Do it all the time for mopping up, sell all progeny though, declared
    delaval wrote: »
    Into a slatted shed and get 2 for that
    I miss him with all my heart.:(

Advertisement