Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base a winter wedding outfit on this dress?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm going to a friend's wedding in mid-Feb and I'm thinking of wearing this dress. I like it but I'm worried its a bit eclectic for a wedding and that I'm too old to get away with it at 35.

Any thoughts on whether its suitable at all? And if yes, what to wear with it to tone it down a bit? I was thinking tan/grey tights, grey long-sleeve top underneath (it is winter after all!), and grey or nude shoes. And minimal jewellery, makeup and hair; there's enough going on already.

Comments

I personally wouldn't wear it because it's not quite my style and it doesn't have much of a shape to it.

In terms of yourself, it depends on whether it's a church wedding or not. If it's a church wedding I'd say it's a bit loud for a church, but if not, and you like it, wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

It's a bit clubby for a church wedding.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

If you wear a coat over it, then there's no reason why you can't wear it to the church.

Whether or not you should wear it will depend on what the reception is going to be like. You'll be the best judge of that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't wear it to a wedding at all

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

This is my coat at the moment. http://www.frenchconnection.com/product/Woman+Collections+Sale+Coats+And+Jackets/70AXF/London+Checked+Double-Breasted+Coat.htm. No plans to sparkle away in the church!

Shapeless is good when you've had 2 giant kids in the last 2.5 years! And I'm still feeding the small fella so my boobs fluctuate in size throughout the day. Tailoring just isn't flattering at the moment. And I still have about 5kg to lose to get back to my normal size 14-16ish, so I'm a bit stuck for things that fit. I don't have a budgetfor anything new, which is why I'm trying to make something I have already have - that vaguly fits - work.

Any thoughts on dressing it down or am I back to wardrobe hunting? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

I'm sorry but I don't think it's wedding appropriate at all.

If you have a simple black dress you could just add some nice inexpensive accessories from Penneys etc to brighten it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 helloworld15

I personally would not wear it to a wedding either. Sorry OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Way too flashy for a wedding, imo. Sorry op!

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I don't think it's wedding appropriate at all.

If you have a simple black dress you could just add some nice inexpensive accessories from Penneys etc to brighten it up.

This is a great idea for a late Winter/early Spring wedding. A fabulous statement necklace would look amazing with the black.

etsy have some great inexpensive statement necklaces that would look fab over a black dress

il_570xN.417035728_svvz.jpg

il_570xN.509599738_tvgg.jpg

il_570xN.474442486_qrjn.jpg

il_570xN.486784993_l9zl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Thanks folks! Back to the wardrobe with me!

I love the second necklace, very nice!

Pang wrote: »
    I love the second necklace, very nice!

I just spotted that exact necklace on ebay for about €3. not sure if shipping was extra though. I want it!

bnagrrl wrote: »
    I just spotted that exact necklace on ebay for about €3. not sure if shipping was extra though. I want it!

3e! eek! That's amazing! Have you got a link to it Bnagrrl? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Abouttime

I had to go to a wedding 2 weeks before I was due. I wore a black dress and wore bright accessories, it was perfect. I went to TK Maxx as they've loads of dresses and just tried in every black dress they had that was reasonably priced. It was a stretch dress that was ruched at the waist. Black helps hide the lumps and bumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Chloe29

The dress and the coat together are a bit much I think but if you wear the dress with a black blazer and black shoes that would be much better. Keep everything minimal - hair to the side, midi rings and a small clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

:-/ I'm gonna be honest here...

Relative of mine wore something very similar to my Aunt's wedding...

Any time the wedding is mentioned it's "And do you remember the state of xxxx?! What was she thinking wearing that to a wedding?"

It's just not wedding appropriate. If it wasn't a wedding I'd say it would look lovely for nights out if it was paired with opaque black tights/skinnies and a long sleeve black top under & blazer over. Because there's so much colour already in it other colours like grey or tan might not show it to its best?

If you can't find anything in the wardrobe head in to Pennys. They've always got some decent stuff that's quite affordable. I saw a picture on their facebook page a while ago of a prom-midi skirt for only 15 euro that you could put with a top you already have..? I know it's a wedding but given that you're fluctuating in size and not at your usual size, separates might be a good way to go to give you an outfit that has some shape and tailoring to it that still accommodates fluctuations?

Advertisement