Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A puzzler

Options
  • 16-01-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭

Its probably something basic but heres my problem.

I have an internet connection through a certain TV box, i have a zyxel router that i want to use as a Wifi AP instead of the Wifi provided by the TV box.

I changed the Zyxel WAN settings to eth1 instead of ADSL and encapsulation to ethernet instead of PPPoE (should that be left alone?)

Also on the zyxel I have DHCP set to relay and set the DHCP server IP to the IP address of the TV box.

Using these settings i connected an ethernet cable from my laptop to eth2 on the Zyxel and then connected eth1 on the zyxel to an ethernet port on the TV box and got a connection to the internet. however when i tried to connect to the zyxel through Wifi i couldnt get an internet connection and IP Address on the laptop changed to APIPA.

So from my understanding of it, the zyxel is relaying the IP address from the TV box over a wired connection but for whatever reason my laptop cannot obtain one through Wifi :confused:

Any Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Turn off DHCP altogether. You don't need relay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Thanks, can you tell me why relay is an option at all if its not needed?

One more thing, if the zyxel is assigned the default static LAN IP of 192.168.1.254 but the tv box has an IP of 192.168.192.2 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, do i have to manualy change the IP address of the zyxel to something in the range of the tv box or will the zyxel obtain an new IP from the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

DHCP relay is for off subnet DHCP servers. Which in your home network isn't a requirement.

You need a IP on the Zxel for management purposes in the same subnet as the Horizon box.

Log into the Horizon box and check out its DHCP assignment. If its giving out IP's from for example, 50 to 150, then a IP such as 192.168.192.3-49 should be free.

Assign the Zxel a IP in the same subnet, eg 255.255.255.0 thats not within the DHCP range.

Lastly, do not plug the cable from the Horizon box into the WAN port on the Zxel, plug it into a Lan port. You want it to function as a Layer 2 device, not as a router. You might need a crossover cable for this.

Advertisement