Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solaris Package Management

Options
  • 16-01-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

I'm completely new to Solaris but i'm working on a project involving documenting package management in Unix. I need to figure out where, if at all, does Solaris store the local data of installed/available packages? dpkg and RPM store either a local textfile or a local database file that can be easily read in /var/lib/, but I can't find similar for Solaris. Any tips?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The RPM/dpkg/yum equivalent on solaris is called pkgadd.

You can find the man page here

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

syklops wrote: »
    The RPM/dpkg/yum equivalent on solaris is called pkgadd.

You can find the man page here
    From the man page:
    FILES
    /var/sadm/install/logs/
    Location where pkgadd logs an instance of software installation.

I think this is what I was looking for, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Solaris 10 keeps track of packages in /var/sadm/pkg/<Package Name>

If you dig down into /var/sadm/pkg/<Package Name>/save/pspool/ directory you can see the pkginfo and pkgmap files which have the package details - revision,architecture etc. and the list of all the files installed by the package - pkgmap

Also, have a look at the pkginfo,pkgadd,pkgrm,pkgchk commands

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Wow that's a blast from the past, like the posters say above the 'pkginfo' command is your friend.

I don't remember there being anything like the 'yum list available' command though as Solaris didn't have any online sources or at least it didn't back in the day anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Giuseppe90

Solaris 11 from what I have read has introduced IPS (Image Packaging System). Seems to be more down the line of YUM etc. although I have only briefly researched it myself.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris11/technologies/ips-323421.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement