Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would love your views

Options
  • 16-01-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I'm looking for your views on this property.. What do you think it's worth? I've looked at PPR but only one house on it which was next door but half the size sold for 140 last year.
    We bid 235 and were told vendors were "glad there was an offer on the table" (yep those were the EAs words) but they were gonna hold out for closer to askin price. Any advice? Thanks in advance :)

http://m.myhome.ie/for-sale/brochure/2507453

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

I think your offer is good but personally i dont like the house, I think there is better properties for what they are asking...this may result in them not achieving their asking price.. there is a great property close to that house for less than what you offered..

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/85-glasanaon-road-glasnevin-dublin-11/2670296

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Piriz wrote: »
    I think your offer is good but personally i dont like the house, I think there is better properties for what they are asking...this may result in them not achieving their asking price.. there is a great property close to that house for less than what you offered..

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/85-glasanaon-road-glasnevin-dublin-11/2670296

That house us about half the size of the house the OP is looking at

yea and he can afford it..

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Marchbride

yea and he can afford it..

Thanks priz for response and info re other house :) We can afford a good bit above 260 but area and not crippling ourselves with monthly repayments are at forefront! But the other house is only half size of the one you posted n the one I posted is very well structured just needs modernisation.

considering its in the same development it should be equally well built, also it might be possible to purchase the house i linked for 200k with a 35k extension you'd have a grand house...just sayin...

in hindsight, the house is quite big and better location to the one i linked to..the asking price aint bad considering its size...

• Advertisement

considering its in the same development it should be equally well built, also it might be possible to purchase the house i linked for 200k with a 35k extension you'd have a grand house...just sayin...

in hindsight, the house is quite big and better location to the one i linked to..the asking price aint bad considering its size...

Yes the size is great with further potential to build to side, back or up another level... Don't know too much about the area which is why we're reliant on PPR and search engines like boards for guidance around realistic price. I'm not too gone on the glasanoan house, Its interior is designed really well but think it has a look of a council house. I don't have a problem with a council house I grew up in one but would like something like the one I've linked! Thanks again piriz for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Marchbride wrote: »
    on the table

Any offer should have a time limit. Tell them it's only on the table for 2 weeks.
    Finglas is by and large still experiencing drops in house prices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its quite near Glasnevin, a nice corner site, spacious- and while I wouldn't be too excited with its BER, its something you can work with.
    235k- is a reasonable offer- will they get a better offer- probably to be honest- its the state of the market.

You say the Estate Agent is holding out for closer to asking- what is the asking price?

I'm against bidding against myself- but at the same time- you have placed a bid which has piqued the sellers interest, without piquing it sufficiently for them to bite.

In all seriousness- they will most probably get more offers on this- in a week or two- probably 250-260'ish. It is Finglas- but there is damn all on the market- and compared to other properties in the area, this would be viewed as a desireable property.

Your call. I think you went in too low- but you're going to be bidding against yourself if you increase it- and if you don't increase it, the seller isn't sufficiently interested to view your offer as more than an opening gambit.

Its quite near Glasnevin, a nice corner site, spacious- and while I wouldn't be too excited with its BER, its something you can work with.
    235k- is a reasonable offer- will they get a better offer- probably to be honest- its the state of the market.

You say the Estate Agent is holding out for closer to asking- what is the asking price?

I'm against bidding against myself- but at the same time- you have placed a bid which has piqued the sellers interest, without piquing it sufficiently for them to bite.

In all seriousness- they will most probably get more offers on this- in a week or two- probably 250-260'ish. It is Finglas- but there is damn all on the market- and compared to other properties in the area, this would be viewed as a desireable property.

Your call. I think you went in too low- but you're going to be bidding against yourself if you increase it- and if you don't increase it, the seller isn't sufficiently interested to view your offer as more than an opening gambit.

Thanks conductor and fuzz
    Yes I think we are going to leave it at a certain price next week if we don't hear anything and say that's the offer until the end of the week then it's off the table. It's weird conductor but the house has been on the market since early summer and had no other bids?? The fact that they have held out this long kinda worries me as they may not be in a rush to move.. EA said they're downsizing but don't have anywhere to go so even 'if' you were to go sale agreed, how long would it take is another question?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends on what they mean by downsizing- and where they intend to go. They certainly don't seem to be in any hurry though.

• Advertisement

Depends on what they mean by downsizing- and where they intend to go. They certainly don't seem to be in any hurry though.

Yes completely agree.. And we would be in a rush to move in if went sale agreed as have to give 2 months notice on rent and don't want to be homeless!! The EA started saying that in her experience where vendors hadn't found somewhere to move as sale was being completed, they took on a role as 'caretaker' and stayed in the property with the new owners for an agreed time for them to find somewhere else?? Don't like the sound of that?!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Just FYI, 6 Griffith Road sold last year for €120k, although it looks to be about half the size compared to number 8 (if number 6 is the one next door).

It also seems odd that both 6 and 8 are for sale within months of each other, but maybe I'm being paranoid.

Edit: Just saw you said that the property has been on sale since the summer. #6 sold in July 2013, my alarm bells are going off again.

Just FYI, 6 Griffith Road sold last year for €120k, although it looks to be about half the size compared to number 8 (if number 6 is the one next door).

It also seems odd that both 6 and 8 are for sale within months of each other, but maybe I'm being paranoid.

Edit: Just saw you said that the property has been on sale since the summer. #6 sold in July 2013, my alarm bells are going off again.

Yep 6 is right next door.. That's what we're trying to use as leverage with our bid but vendors don't seem to be playing ball at all!! It is unrealistic what they're expecting, I think but trying to gage the slice of cake they'll snap at is hard! As obviously we don't wanna pay over the odds for it especially as next dr went for half of what we offered! I think the owner at no 6 died yr before that's why that was sold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Marchbride wrote: »
    Yep 6 is right next door.. That's what we're trying to use as leverage with our bid but vendors don't seem to be playing ball at all!! It is unrealistic what they're expecting, I think but trying to gage the slice of cake they'll snap at is hard! As obviously we don't wanna pay over the odds for it especially as next dr went for half of what we offered! I think the owner at no 6 died yr before that's why that was sold.

There is usually a premium for corner properties, not to mention it's huge compared to number 6. I don't think it's worth over double the amount though.

If they've had the house on the market for 6 months and are still waiting for a price closer to advertised, I'd be as worried as you are about their urgency to sell. There's no telling how many other bids around your level they have already rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Being realistic, you will be getting the builders in to insulate, probably upgrade the heating and definitely rewire, we fell for that one of a well looked after for house when we bought, so think of it as a wreck and price it as such.

Up the pressure text or email the EA asking for a yes know answer so you can move on be a bit off hand with them, if you call them you’ll come across as anyway keen they’ll know you are on the hook and will hold out for more.

You's is the only offer so let somebody else better it, if they do then the EA will be back to you, hold on, the market is rising so they will have to paymore for anything they buy and a cold winter might motivate them to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Being realistic, you will be getting the builders in to insulate, probably upgrade the heating and definitely rewire, we fell for that one of a well looked after for house when we bought, so think of it as a wreck and price it as such.

I don't get this. Firstly it depends on how you insulate. If you go down the root of internal insulated board you effectively have to completely redecorate inside. That includes removing the kitchen units which may not fit in the space afterwards. You can't use the pumped insulation on those houses as they don't have any cavities to fill. The best and only real option is external insulation. Much better standard and no extra work afterwards.

The electrics on the new section of the house should be fine as with the plumbing. I'd be surprised if the older part of the house doesn't have new electrics already when they got the extension done but it would at least have been done since the house was initially built.

AS with anything a proper surveyor's report needed.

The price seems fair given the additional land, already extended and much more space than houses people are pointing to. Best way to judge the property is how much would it cost to buy a corner house with the same amount of room and how much the extension would cost to build. Given that the price seems about right at €250ish

Advertisement