Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furniture issue

Options
  • 16-01-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

I've been renting an apartment for over a year now. The place came furnished and all furniture was listed in the lease. Now this furniture is fairly basic ikea stuff and over the course of the year, a few of the items have broken. Things like chair legs and sofa base boards. I've never done anything stupid in the apartment, these breakages happened through normal use. I'm not overweight either!

Will i have to pay for these items or is that acceptable wear and tear for over a years tenancy?

I'm happy to replace these items myself but want to get better quality furniture. And If i'm spending on higher quality furniture i'd hope to able to take it with me when I leave.
    I have a very good relationship with my landlord, just unsure of the best way to proceed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

It would really depend on the quality of the furniture, but Im not really sure that you can argue that year old furniture should be suffering things like broken legs and base boards through normal wear and tear, unless its properly bottom of the barrel rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

asdfgh86 wrote: »
    I'm happy to replace these items myself but want to get better quality furniture. And If i'm spending on higher quality furniture i'd hope to able to take it with me when I leave.
    If you replace them, the lack of said furniture will probably come out of your deposit when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

djimi wrote: »
    unless its properly bottom of the barrel rubbish.

It's the cheapest stuff you can get at ikea, so fairly flimsy.

I don't mind paying something for damages but would hope not to have to pay the full whack for each item of furniture because I haven't been doing anything reckless in the apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you notified the landlord each time something has broken?

Unfortunately this really is one of the perils of renting furnished places, you have to take whatever crap they give you.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭asdfgh86

Have you notified the landlord each time something has broken?

Unfortunately this really is one of the perils of renting furnished places, you have to take whatever crap they give you.

I haven't informed him. I suppose I'll just ask him what he thinks. He's a sound lad and he knows I'm a good tenant so we might be able to meet halfway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

IKEA don't really do flimsy stuff. Any photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

ted1 wrote: »

I rented a place a few years ago completely furnished with ikea stuff. The stuff was totally flimsy! All the cutlery was bent out of shape within a few weeks. All the cushions on the couches burst open with the stuffing coming out after a month or 2... We weren't having pillow fights btw. Lol.

The actual wooden furniture was ok tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I've had tenants put some wear on furniture alright. Broken baseboard on a couch, broken back bit on a kitchen chair. I have never taken it out of the deposit, because the furniture was 6/7 years old at that stage. Just got it repaired, and moved on.

Willful damage is usually what I take out of a deposit, like breaking doors down, smashed windows, walls with a hole punched in them.

Some normal wear and tear I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We have leatherette couches that the material has cracked quite badly due to poor construction, we here only 2 years ,
    Out kids have IKEA furniture in there room 4 and 20 months its been jumped up and down on thrown all over the place and its all still standing not bad for 20e on table and chairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

If wooden furniture from ikea was breaking after a year, I wouldn't view that as wear and tear. One breakage maybe might be an accident that I'd overlook. The OPs breakages would seem to be careless. IKEA stuff isn't that flimsy....even the cheap stuff is solid enough. I'd talk to the tenant though and come to some agreement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »

I've spent 700 Euro on a few bits and pieces there over the past week- its far from cheap, and is incredibly sturdy and hard-wearing.

If you have furniture from Ikea and its wearing/breaking in an improbably short timespan- notify them immediately, they're actually really good at replacing things and most items have a 1 or 2 year warranty (if you use an Ikea card you get an automatic warranty- you can request it otherwise).

OP- if it is Ikea stuff- make sure you inform the landlord immediately- Ikea do not do cheap flimsy stuff- if anything they're probably more expensive than some major chains operating here (a few stores in the Swords/Airport vicinity come to mind).

If its cushions/slats etc that have broken/burst- they're easily replaced, you may be better off resolving them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I've spent 700 Euro on a few bits and pieces there over the past week- its far from cheap, and is incredibly sturdy and hard-wearing.

If you have furniture from Ikea and its wearing/breaking in an improbably short timespan- notify them immediately, they're actually really good at replacing things and most items have a 1 or 2 year warranty (if you use an Ikea card you get an automatic warranty- you can request it otherwise).

A lot of Ikea furniture actually has a 10 year guarantee. I agree it isn't cheap or flimsy in general but they do sell certain cheap pieces that don't last. The idea the whole apartment is made up of such furniture is unlikely as I am only talking about one or two pieces.

OP inform the LL as they could easily be covered by the guarantee cost neither of you money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm another who finds that IKEA furniture is durable.

Some people suppose that all self-assembly furniture comes from IKEA, rather as all vacuum cleaners used to be referred to as Hoovers. It might be that OP has made a supposition that it is IKEA, but that it actually comes from another supplier whose products are flimsier (I have a couple of possibilities in mind).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

(I have a couple of possibilities in mind).

Me too...... :(

Advertisement