Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I am stuck here !!!

Options
  • 16-01-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

I am in 4th year, and my options I put down for my LC were
    English
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Business
    Italian

I got all of them apart from biology, I got geography. :(

I have asked the guidance teacher and biology teacher and they said there is no room(24 students). But since there is 2 class of biology, I can get it, but I have to take away business, again which I need.

I am really worried, because during the summer holidays I had planned out my subjects and what books to get for them and made notes and etc. for them.

To realise I do not get biology struck me because I am really interested in it.

I am not worried about any courses or what I want to be.
    At the moment my aim is to study hard and get the most points I need.
    How ever I have kept 2 business subjects and 2 science subjects(3 if you include ag. science)
    (Economics and ag science I am doing at home)
    So then after school I can pursue into science related or business related course.
    Again my aim is to get the most points, I want to focus on this first, not college or what course I am interested in.

So what can I do, biology at home, switch geography to economics in school and do biology at home or do accounting instead and do 3 subjects at home !!

Need advice ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

I do Business and Biology. Business isn't a requirement for any course. You can do business at university without doing leaving cert business. It's not like junior cert business really and it isn't that fun, I can tell you that much. It's all about management, business law and business relationships. I would have picked chemistry instead looking back.
    You need two science subjects to get into a lot of medicine and science courses. You do not however need three. If you have ag. and chemistry you'll be fine. Biology is a lot more interesting than Ag science, coming from people in my Biology class who do both.

8 subjects is a lot I'm finding the workload hard with just 7. Think about that before you take on two extra subjects.

If you prefer Economics switch to that and leave out Geography. Do Biology at home (with a qualified teacher) and only do 7 subjects. 8 may affect your ability to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 STP50

So as I understand you this is your position
    School English
    Italian
    Maths

Chemistry
    Business - (possible to switch to Biology)
    Geography - (possible to switch to Economics)

Home Study Ag Science
    Economics

Firstly I agree with the previous poster that it is a big challenge to take on 8 subjects - particularly with 2 at home as self study.
    All 3 of my children took 8 subjects and the demands on their time were considerable and not to be underestimated, I do not think you should have more than 1 subject to manage outside of school.

To keep your business options open you do not require Business as a subject -This subject is quite broad and there is a lot to cover at LC level.
    If you do pursue a course in business you are better off with a grounding in Economics as that is a little more challenging but the course is shorter.
    I would consider switching the Geography for Economics. That one subject will be more than enough grounding for any business courses.
    No business courses require any of the business subjects at leaving cert - they will start from scratch in 1st year.

Science is more tricky as there are many science courses that require or at least recommend Biology - so I would try hard to cover this as it is
    a difficult subject to take up in college. Even people who have studied biology for LC fins 1st year biology a challenge.
    If you can switch business for biology I would do so. That would give you two science subjects - both are quite big in terms of workload.

Then you have only AG Science at home - there should be some overlap with the biology course that may help - but there is a big project and
    you need a teacher to sign it off.

Best of luck to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

The thing is I need 8 subjects as I am not counting English and Italian
    I am terrible at them and I hate them, I have no interested in languages and never will, I have a passion of hate for them.
    So the rest are easy learn for me
    Chemistry, business they are doing me good for my tests so far....

Advertisement