Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord still hasn't collected rent

Options
  • 16-01-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Just looking for some options as to what to do...

We are to pay our rent (in cash, LL calls around to the house) on the first of every month. However, this month we have not heart from our LL yet, despite texting to ask when she is coming over.

She is usually about a week late in collecting the rent but this is coming into three weeks now!

The property is not registered with the PRTB (not sure if that makes any difference) but seeing as she is lax about getting things fixed in the house (seal for the door, lagging jacket for the boiler, fire still broken 4+ months in) we are unsure what to do re: rent. I'm starting to worry about getting our deposit back at the end of the lease (possibly jumping the gun on this a little!)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Firstly, fair play in being pro-active in looking to pay your rent.

Would definitely call them (not text) and explain that you need to set time aside for rent collection, don't want to leave cash sitting in a drawer in your house and that it would be helpful to know in advance when rent is going to be collected. I personally wouldn't be happy with an "ah sure, I'll just turn up at your door unannounced and collect it" attitude towards the spending of a considerable proportion of my net income.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sarah-bear

gaius c wrote: »
    Firstly, fair play in being pro-active in looking to pay your rent.

Would definitely call them (not text) and explain that you need to set time aside for rent collection, don't want to leave cash sitting in a drawer in your house and that it would be helpful to know in advance when rent is going to be collected. I personally wouldn't be happy with an "ah sure, I'll just turn up at your door unannounced and collect it" attitude towards the spending of a considerable proportion of my net income.

Thanks, she usually waits for us to text her and then she'll choose an evening which suits and pop over. What I don't understand about this month is that she sent someone around to seal the front door (having flagged the issue with her start of Nov.) So she is still 'alive and kicking' to some extent. Maybe she gave us a reprieve for January :D

Our house is in a kind of 'energetic' neighborhood so leaving the money in the house isn't really an option I'd like to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I've been in a similar situation before and it's crap having to sit around waiting for your landlord to arrive when they can be arsed. We eventually had to make sure there was always someone in the house just in case, which is not on.You need to call your landlord and tell them that in future you will be in the house at X day and Y time each month, and that that will be the only time you will be available to pay rent in that way. Be very firm about it.
    Unregistered or not, there's no reason why the landlord can't pass on their bank details to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There is if they are collecting the cash and not telling the tax man or bank! Can't pay mortgage it's emprty sorry! Or sure I liver there when I really moved in with boyfriend....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Only thing you can do really is keep trying to ring and see if you can make contact. If youre really worried then maybe send a registered letter stating that the rent is waiting and looking to arrange a time to collect; at least this covers your ass and they cant say that you didnt try to pay!

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Only thing you can do really is keep trying to ring and see if you can make contact. If youre really worried then maybe send a registered letter stating that the rent is waiting and looking to arrange a time to collect; at least this covers your ass and they cant say that you didnt try to pay!

I think you're right, I'll try her once more and then let it be in her hands. I'll keep the money safe so if/ when she does come a-knocking it'll be available for her. Very frustrating all the same!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,502 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Do you get a receipt for your rent?

Notify the landlord in writing of any issues. If its all verbal you wont have any comeback.

Do you get a receipt for your rent?

Notify the landlord in writing of any issues. If its all verbal you wont have any comeback.

This is very important btw. You need it for when you go for a mortgage yourself. The landlord's lack of tax compliance is not your problem so don't let it create difficulties for you.

We had this a while back and had a mexican standoff in our kitchen as we showed the wad of cash to the landlord and said "no receipt, no money". The sight of the physical cash in front of him was a very powerful enticement for him to honour the previous agreement to give us a receipt every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There is if they are collecting the cash and not telling the tax man or bank! Can't pay mortgage it's emprty sorry! Or sure I liver there when I really moved in with boyfriend....

Can anyone translate this?

OP I'd just wait, if you're not in at the time that's her problem not your's. Just don't worry about it.

Thanks everyone - we do get receipts thankfully. Her tax compliance etc doesn't really bother me in relation to this but her lack of communication/ lax attitude towards her obligations re the upkeep of the house makes me nervous for the next few months.

Ive rang again this eve but no answer. Wish someone was chasing me to give me money!

As an aside, is it possible to give a months notice if the LL doesnt keep up with their obligations? im not saying this is what I plab5 on doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sarah-bear wrote: »
    As an aside, is it possible to give a months notice if the LL doesnt keep up with their obligations? im not saying this is what I plab5 on doing.

I don't see why not.

Sure'n what's she gonna do, take you to court? :pac:

I don't see why not.

Sure'n what's she gonna do, take you to court? :pac:

Ha, I should have mentioned 'and still get the deposit back' :) I also realise 'plab5' isn't a word!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

In my last place. A very upmarket 4 bed town house my landlord would only call every few months and collect the rent. I often thought about bunkin it would my morals wouldn't allow me. He mustn't have been short of a few bob.

Has the LL turned up yet?

gaius c wrote: »
    Has the LL turned up yet?

Nope not as of yet - just going to keep the rent safe until she gets in touch. Not much else I can do!

It's completely unreasonable to expect you to keep it in handy cash around the house waiting for them to call so don't do that!

Advertisement