Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modified Air intake - NCT

Options
  • 16-01-2014 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

My Fiesta 1.25 is in for NCT next week and I was wondering would the setup I have pass.

Currently I have a Cone filter just slotted onto the original piping...Would this pass?

I also cut back the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) pipe going into the air box and just put on a breather filter at the rocker cover.

I could take off the cone and put in the standard box no problem but I dont have a spare pipe to run the PCV back down to the box.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Go back to the stock airfilter anyway. The car will perform better and last longer. Oiled filters have been shown on dyno tests to offer little or no improvement in airflow, at the expense (frequently) of poorer filtration, letting larger particles enter the engine and cause damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

my Focus passed on Monday with a K&N induction system

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't pass with that setup.

Would it not be better to put it back the way it was anyway? As far as I know there's no advantage to having a cone filter on your intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Here is the test manual for your persusal
    http://www.ncts.ie/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20May%202012.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

You'll be fine in the NCT, unless the fitment is bad and you have an air or vacuum leak - which would probably throw a code/error-light anyway.

Whether or not a cone filter gives any power advantage, it depends on the car. If you chucked away a good paper-filter and cold-air box, replacing it with a free-flowing cone filter that sucks in warm air, you may well make less power.

A filter done right can give 5..10% extra HP. Done wrong, it will rob the same.

Simple cone on an MX5 I had gave 3 hp. A full cold-air-induction kit added 12hp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SleeperService

Cone filter shouldn't be a prob, at least not K&N type properly fitted. (if you've made your own out of kellogs boxes and razor wire or something, different story)

Having the PCV venting to atmosphere rather than closed loop could be an issue. Will it be noticed? Hmmm - some of them can't recognise a honda crv as a vehicle that probably has 4wd.
    Id say you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭colincork

Thanks for all the answers guys.
    I know there is little/no performance gain from the cone but it's purely for looks/sound.

The problem is that I cant put the PCV system back to a closed loop without buying a new pipe, don't really want to do this for the sake of 20 mins.

swesrt.jpg
    This is how it looks currently.

My mate passed today with a cone filter so that'll be fine. Just worried about them failing me on the PCV breather (Mounted on Rocker Cover)

Also rather than start a new thread

Can I leave my Sub in the boot seeing as the spare tire is mounted underneath the car? Previous threads state the only reason they look in the boot is to check the spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭franksm

You'll be fine with that !

Some cars have the filter curved back over the exhaust manifold, which is a disaster for cold-air.

Yeah, 0hp or 5hp isn't always the thing, it's how a filter like that "frees" up the engine's breathing - while making a nice noise :D

franksm wrote: »
    You'll be fine with that !

Some cars have the filter curved back over the exhaust manifold, which is a disaster for cold-air.

Yeah, 0hp or 5hp isn't always the thing, it's how a filter like that "frees" up the engine's breathing - while making a nice noise :D

Thanks, I'd say I'll just put it through as is alright.

Undecided though about leaving in the sub, it only takes up half of the boot and as far as I can see they only need to check the spare tyre (under the car) and the boot floor for rust

Would I be OK to leave it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

These can increase power slightly on certain turbo cars alright (just not 1.2 fiestas) :p

There shouldn't be an issue of its well fitted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Ive a cone filter on my 3.0 Lexus for the last few years, went through iirc 4 NCT's, no problems.

Most cone filters dont do anything for performance as suggested above, but what it does give is a great induction roar.

If Im paying tax for a 3.0 I6, I want to hear it sing on open throttle - oh yeah!!!!!!!

Has anyone put one through with the PCV venting to atmosphere tho? I've had cone filters pass no prob but they came with the hoses and attachments to make it closed loop...

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Just take the sub out, make sure you turn off the sub out on the headunit or disconnect it from the amp altogether or at the very least tape off the exposed wiring when you disconnect at sub end.

Has anyone put one through with the PCV venting to atmosphere tho? I've had cone filters pass no prob but they came with the hoses and attachments to make it closed loop...

This is the one thing I'm wondering myself.
    Could they treat this as an exhaust leak?

colincork wrote: »
    This is the one thing I'm wondering myself.
    Could they treat this as an exhaust leak?

You can download the full list of nct checks. On a phone here so not easy to link to it. Could be some sorta emissions rules about it. Dunno.

You can download the full list of nct checks. On a phone here so not easy to link to it. Could be some sorta emissions rules about it. Dunno.

I checked the manual but it doesn't mention anything about the PCV system at all. Only place I found where they might fail it is if they put it down as an exhaust leak

Advertisement