Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ocean Bar Grand Canal

Options
  • 16-01-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Anybody have an idea what the new plans are for the space where the Ocean bar used to be in Grand canal, I can see they are gutting it at the moment, so I'm assuming somebody has bought it, and has big plans for it leading up to the summer.

Any thoughts out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

• Registered Users Posts: 7 8eni

cool.... I think, thanks Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

It was a nice pub but never had the footfall. Its on the wrong side of the dock really. Hopefully the restaurant does well

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Always felt it had a strange atmosphere, like you had to whisper. Food wasn't great. The staff were over worked but nice.
    Good to see it being used again and hopefully will bring a bit of life back to that corner of the dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Hope it's better than that Chinese kip a cross the water terrible food and service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Hootanany wrote: »
    Hope it's better than that Chinese kip a cross the water terrible food and service.

Mourne Seafood in Belfast is great, so if this branch is up to their normal standard, it should be a welcome addition to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ocy

any more on the opening of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 8eni

I was talking to a guy in the car park underneath the Ocean Bar yesterday, he said it would be open within the next month, had a little look at it today, looks to be taking some sorta shape now, looks like a bar round the back looking over the water, where that coffee shop was for bout 6 months, and the restaurant in where the old bar used to be,

Wonder have they any plans for the downstairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Opened this week. It's a fish restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Has anyone tired this place yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Haven't tried it yet. Walked past it last night and there were a fair few people in it. Some eating and some just having a drink. By looking at their menu online, their prices seem very reasonable.

AsianDub wrote: »
    Haven't tried it yet. Walked past it last night and there were a fair few people in it. Some eating and some just having a drink. By looking at their menu online, their prices seem very reasonable.

Ya, thought that too. Hope it does better than ocean bar.

Has anyone been in to Mournes?
    Would love to know what it's like!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

Gushy Irish Times review here. Basically it's good, but dear!

Dinner for two with a bottle of Provençal rosé came to €106.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/restaurant/fish-and-chips-in-the-docks-1.1810919

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭kinsy

I went last week and was a little underwhelmed. I ordered mussels and they were overcooked and tiny. The sauce was incredibly salty and I like my salt. My friend got some sort of breaded haddock goujons with fries and coleslaw which she enjoyed. The place itself is grand but we were in the bar for a drink and I really didn't like the decor in there. It felt rather unfinished and it's all quite grey.
    The view is lovely, definitely my favourite thing about the place.

I would like to try some other things on the menu as lots of the dishes sounded great but if they can't get mussels right I'm not sure I'll rush back.

kinsy wrote: »
    I went last week and was a little underwhelmed. I ordered mussels and they were overcooked and tiny. The sauce was incredibly salty and I like my salt. My friend got some sort of breaded haddock goujons with fries and coleslaw which she enjoyed. The place itself is grand but we were in the bar for a drink and I really didn't like the decor in there. It felt rather unfinished and it's all quite grey.
    The view is lovely, definitely my favourite thing about the place.

I would like to try some other things on the menu as lots of the dishes sounded great but if they can't get mussels right I'm not sure I'll rush back.

I'm sorry to hear that.
    I was looking at their menu and the korma mussels would be what I go for!

I got the ones in white wine and cream etc. They also only came with one piece of bread which I thought was a bit stingy. I try not to eat too much bread so I wasn't going to ask for more but for a pot of mussels swimming in sauce, I'd generally expect a fair bit more than that.

kinsy wrote: »
    I got the ones in white wine and cream etc. They also only came with one piece of bread which I thought was a bit stingy. I try not to eat too much bread so I wasn't going to ask for more but for a pot of mussels swimming in sauce, I'd generally expect a fair bit more than that.

Ya, I hate that.
    My fav thing is mussels with crusty bread!

Paris Bakery used to do an amazing giant bowl of tomatoey sauce mussels with crusty bread for about €14.00.. It was heavenly!

Exactly! The crusty bread is part of it. Or it should be, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I was in the bar bit on the right, rather than the restaurant, a couple of weeks ago.

The bar is lovely, I had a nice glass of reasonably-priced red wine, some gorgeous bread and tapanade, the barman was a gent, they were playing Stevie Wonder, and there is no TV! Result.

I look forward to going back.

Ha, just goes to show different tastes, eh? I really didn't care for the bar. They're weren't playing Stevie Wonder when I was there, however.

Advertisement