Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gynecomastia and insurance

Options
  • 16-01-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

I've been having a look at there are plenty of older threads of people who suffer from Gynecomastia getting the surgery covered by health insurance.

If you are such a person could you please give me some insight into how you went about this? I have in the past contacted several surgeries who perform the relevant procedure and they have all told me that it is not covered by health insurance so I don't pursue it as I simply don't have that sort of money.

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

mod note - Hi moobs. Unreg posts are premoderated before they appear on the forum.
    All - Specific answer to his question please. No medical advice permitted per boards policy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Have you tried contacting your health insurer to see if it would be covered?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry... Never thought on unreg. posts needing prior approval......

I have not contacted my insurer as yet. Was hoping for some advice before ringing them. I make an awful habit of shooting myself in the foot and hoped some general information on past success stories in this dept. would help me with that particular phone call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

I've actually been researching general health insurance the last wee while and all companies I've been looking at specifically don't cover elective cosmetic procedures so tbh I'd say your health insurance won't cover it unfortunately.

Pity. That's kind of what I thought myself.....

I became disillusioned when I read old posts on here saying that there were such or even public options........

Pity as it is quite a restrictive sort of problem to have in a social context.

Thanks

• Advertisement

I don't have private health insurance, not that it seems to matter.
    I've been giving serious consideration to paying out and getting this done, it's bloody expensive though, cheapest I can see in Ireland is upwards of 2,500euro.
    Jesus, that's insane money.
    But then again, when I think of all the times I've wanted to wear a shirt, but didn't..all the times I've wanted to go for a swim..but didn't..and don't even get me started on the private life end of things. I don't like my lady looking at me topless, at all.
    It's think I think to myself "take a bloody loan out and get it done".
    But being a student it's near impossible. "Hi Bank, I'd like a loan, I have man boobs you see, I can't afford it myself as I'm a broke student"
    "Sure thing, sign here!"

As a matter of interest where did you come across in Ireland for 2.5k? The cheapest I came across was 4k!!!!

Not that it matters hugely. I don't have 2.5k either.............

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭BobMcBob

Go to your GP, get referred to a Breast surgeon - you may be able to get it done in the public system.

Advertisement