Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth replaying Mass Effect before ME2?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

I completed Mass Effect 1 about 2 years ago and have had ME2 sitting in my backlog ever since. I'm finally ready to jump back into the franchise but I don't know whether I should replay the first to familiarise myself with the characters again and possibly get a better playthrough. Is it worth going back through the campaign again or should I just push onto the second one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'd say push onto the 2nd, I found it much better than the first (some will disagree). Just lookup and youtube vid recapping the ME1 story. Wish I could play ME 2 all over again fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,144 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I'd say push onto the 2nd, I found it much better than the first (some will disagree). Just lookup and youtube vid recapping the ME1 story. Wish I could play ME 2 all over again fresh.

That opening scene.... *swoon*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Isn't there that graphic novel "summary" for those that import games and let you make the choices if you haven't imported? It should keep you up to date and jog the memory on what you did before.

It starts before you play start the campaign, if memory serves.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,164 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you still have your save game then do it if not then either replay ME1 or go through the dlc that allows you to make the choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I would play 1 first, thats because I know I would enjoy 1 and 2 and then just have to trudge through 3. I really hated 3, the "cutscene/shooty bit/explorey bit" was so obvious and overdone by the 3rd game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

If I were you, I'd have to start from the first again. My memory is terrible, so wouldn't remember anything. If you remember stuff from the first well enough, then you're fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'd play ME first again.

Did ME, ME2

then ME2 and ME3

then the three again in order (RTA meant I had loads of free time).

Defo forgot some things from the first, so I'd play that

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

Use a savegame editor to make a savegame for ME2 with the (few) choices you made that carry over from ME1. Bringing a char through the entire series really adds to it all

I had an issue when I started ME3 that my savegame from ME2 got lost in a hard drive failure.

Got a savegame editor and marked all the stuff I did / didn't to (and who was in my party etc) - It's brilliant bumping into someone you saved a game ago who thanks you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Even going direct from the first to the second and then to the third, I had bits where I wondered "Who was that person again?" Was that just me? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Well, would replaying the first cause you to burn out on the mechanics before you complete the remainder?

I replayed the first before ME2 and, even though I enjoyed most of my time with the series, I have little desire to play more. I believe I spend 80 hours on each playthrough (of the base game), so that's probably a factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The first one was epic, just finish it.

Finish what? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Fnz wrote: »
    Finish what? :confused:

Finish the first one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Its the best one & I loved the elevator and Mako.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Me1 story sucked me right in, it was easy to forgive slight gameplay faults. I still watch the odd clip from ME1 on YouTube, 2 amazing conversations take place in this game that would just make ME2 so much better! Watching a recap without ever experience is a waste imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Replay the 1st game. It's a brilliant game, and while some people didn't like the combat, i didn't really have any issues with it. I also find it much more rewarding playing the full trilogy in one go, as the smaller choices you make stick out in your mind much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I could have started this thread... I've already decided what I'm going to do though. I got ME2 in the sale recently and I'll be starting it soon without ever finishing the first. I played the first game twice and gave up somehow both times around half way through. On the most recent play through, I got bored while I was looking for a matriarch. I'll read up on a recap so I'm not completely lost. I just can't bring myself to start it for a third time when there's a good chance history will repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I'd play ME again, then not play the other 2.

ME1 was amazing, yet it was a bit of a flawed game, with those Mako bits and the long loading/elevator bits. It was a flawed masterpiece.

I must have played it though 3 times, and it has some amazing scenes, it really is the highlight of the series, but that it's not obvious giving the flashiness of 2 and 3.

I don't know if I could do a full playthough of the trilogy again, due to the time investment really, and also the third just ruined the series for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The final hour of Mass Effect 1 is some of the most exciting gameplay and storytelling I've ever seen. When I finished that game the first time I immediately went back to the main menu to start a new game. I've never done that before. It is far from a perfect game but none of its flaws were a big deal for me.

I would absolutely replay from ME1 and carry the same character the whole way through. I really wish I could, too familiar with it now unfortunately.

Also, quit ME3 about half an hour before the end. I honestly think that's what I'd do if I ever replay ME3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

ME1 combat was a chore. But the story - not so much the characters was amazing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ME1 is a game I have very fond memories of, ME2 I consider one of the games of the last generation, and ME3? Well, it was a lot better the second time I played through it.

I'm not sure if going back and getting a better play through is something for everyone, but I'll admit that it's something that I did with each of the games.

CatInABox wrote: »
    ME2 I consider one of the games of the last generation

s-ARSENIO-large300.jpg

'bout time somebody was brave enough to finally say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Loved ME1 and wasn't impressed with ME2 the first time I played it.. However replayed it a few months later and really changed my mind about it..lots of hidden little gems and the combat was pretty good and in fact better than ME1.
    ME3? To this day if I ever meet the guy who wrote the ending I'd probably kick him to the ground and stomp on his head. He destroyed a great trilogy and ruined ME for me for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Id play ME1 first and then transfer your save game card, keep all your Stats and choices from the first game, makes it much more inclusive and helps the immersion. But that's just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rinaric15

I played it, and didn't get a good ending my first time either.
    I don't recommend playing it again unless you can start out with Mass Effect1. No matter how many times you play ME2, it will never turn out as good as it does for the people who played part 1 first.

If it feels redundant, then change combat classes. I played the whole series more than once, I started as an infiltrator, and my next playthrough is a vanguard.

So I started ME2 after watching a 10 min youtube video recap. I think its great. The worlds are really rich, characters realistic with fantastic voice acting. I have been playing mostly as a renegade whenever possibly because its more fun to be evil :p

I do have an issue with the combat though. Its almost like a chore at times. You just duck in and out of cover. There is no depth to it whatsoever unless I'm missing something? Recharging health is retarded. Dying means nothing even if you do somehow screw up. I'm tempted to drop to the easiest difficulty level to just play for the story alone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Grimebox wrote: »
    So I started ME2 after watching a 10 min youtube video recap

ME1 deserves more than that in fairness.
    Grimebox wrote: »
    'm tempted to drop to the easiest difficulty level to just play for the story alone

When you get to ME3, you can play it in "action mode", little or no story apparently. So maybe there is a story mode too, less action.

I found the combat in 3 very poor, I hated that you had to run around with your weapon drawn and pointed for most of the levels, where as in ME1, you could holster it when it suited you.

I liked the "overheating" thing from ME1, as it was different, I didn't like the universal ammo pickups that were in 2 and 3.

• Advertisement

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    ME1 deserves more than that in fairness.

I explained previously why I wasn't bother replaying ME1 again

Advertisement