Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry crashes wireless router... ideas?

Options
  • 16-01-2014 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any ideas for things to fiddle with to try and fix the issue of a phone's wireless crashing the entire router? Seems to happen during the connection process itself, even if connecting with an incorrect key.

Phone and router are both rather old, but worked fine together until I did an OS upgrade (BBOS5.0. Hey, I did say old...)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gsmith-

Try upgrade the firmware on the router to whatever the manufacturer's latest is. Even if it's old it might be newer than what you have.
    Also your broadband operator might have customised firmware that may not experience the same issue.

Failing that you could try connect over a different protocol whereby the same bug that causes the crash isn't initiated. You may find that WPA1 instead of WPA2 might work or even WEP but beware of the security implications of choosing weak encryption.

Maybe try create a differentlty named or second SSID name to connect to. It may be as quirky as that to workaround the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

gsmith- wrote: »
    Try upgrade the firmware on the router to whatever the manufacturer's latest is. Even if it's old it might be newer than what you have.
    Also your broadband operator might have customised firmware that may not experience the same issue.

Failing that you could try connect over a different protocol whereby the same bug that causes the crash isn't initiated. You may find that WPA1 instead of WPA2 might work or even WEP but beware of the security implications of choosing weak encryption.

Maybe try create a differentlty named or second SSID name to connect to. It may be as quirky as that to workaround the crash.

Thanks for the reply. I don't see anything listed on Sweex's website for it; it's a Conextant chipset, but I'm not sure if that helps me any in determining what more recent firmware version might be suitable. In any case, if it doesn't have a USB port, does that mean there's no "consumer" way to flash the firmware?

No choice of security protocol at all, I'm afraid! Just on or off. As it crashes either way, and with a deliberately wrong key too, I suspect it's happening before that point. I thought there was provision to change the SSID, but I can't even find that at this point. Vexing!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 gsmith-

It might be possible upload a new firmware by web interface. Often in the router's web interface there's a firmware update section where you can select a locally stored file and upload it via a web browser to be flashed onto the device.

Not being able to find a newer firmware is a show-stopper though for that. I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and replace one of the two devices.

I've found that even with very modern wifi and phone devices, some just don't work together with issues like this. I have a Nokia lumia windows phone that seems to stop all other devices working with my Zyxel router until it is rebooted. As this technology gets more diverse and more commonplace you'd imagine it would become more reliable but in my experience, these sorts of bugs seem to get weirder and the amount of devices out there makes testing all combinations of them an impossible task for any manufacturer.

Advertisement