Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Light Fittings - Do they work in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I have seen them for sale in the UK so i see no issue with them, they are a very nice modern fitting, very good website with alot of nice fixtures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

That perticular fitting takes a 50 watt gu-10 '230volts
    That bulb is widely available here in many forms inc led so should be fine.
    The only question i would raise is if its earthed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As this product is rated IP44 it would not be suitable for bathroom or outdoor use (despite the description).

I doubt that ze Germans would make zis light with no earth connection :D:D

2011 wrote: »
    As this product is rated IP44 it would not be suitable for bathroom
    IP44 no issue in fitting in zone 1 and 2, Zone 0 is the only one not suitable.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

WikiHow wrote: »
    IP44 no issue in fitting in zone 1 and 2, Zone 0 is the only one not suitable.

I would not install anything that operates mains voltage that has ingress protection rating as low as IP44 anywhere in a bathroom in particular a unit that has a metal enclosure.

The fact that this light is constructed of aluminium makes it even less suitable as this makes corrosion likely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

I was going to put them in the porch outside of the front door, which is exposed. Sounds like its not a good idea - back to the drawing board. Thanks all for your help.

Gangu wrote: »
    I was going to put them in the porch outside of the front door, which is exposed. Sounds like its not a good idea - back to the drawing board. Thanks all for your help.
    Why not alot of outdoor lanterns are only IP44 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Gangu

Oh ok, maybe I misconstrued the comments as I am not familiar with the terminology. Does it need to be earthed?

Gangu wrote: »

In my opinion it is not a good idea to use these outdoors.

The Ingress Protection Rating, is a measurement of the degree of protection provided against the intrusion of solids (including grit, dust and fingers) and water.

The above lights are rated IP44, most electricians would consider this quitee a low rating.
    As these lights are not double insulated (they have a conductive enclosure) the IP rating is even more important.
    I would suggest a minmum of IP55.

The 1st 4 (in IP44) means that the enclosure is protected against objects >1 mm, so this unit is not dust proof.

The 2nd 4 means that "water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect".

The integrity of these ratings will be lost if the lamps are not installed correctly (with suitable cable glands etc.)

These lights may also corrode if used outdoors.

2011 wrote: »

The integrity of these ratings will be lost if the lamps are not installed correctly (with suitable cable glands etc.)

These lights may also corrode if used outdoors.

The intergrity of an IP68 fitting would be lost too if they are not installed correctly (with suitable cable glands etc.)

The corrosion issue is all down to the quality of the fitting, i have fitted several aluminium fittings at an installation that is beside the sea and they are as good today as they were 5 years ago when they were fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

The intergrity of an IP68 fitting would be lost too if they are not installed correctly (with suitable cable glands etc.)

The corrosion issue is all down to the quality of the fitting, i have fitted several aluminium fittings at an installation that is beside the sea and they are as good today as they were 5 years ago when they were fitted.

true

i've been back to large installations where all the outdoor fittings suffer from water ingress

these would be quality thorn plastic bulkhead fittings that merely lacked a dab of silicone at the back to prevent this happening

Yes, this applies to all IP rated fittings. This is worth pointing out as some electricians seem either not to know or do not care :(
    The corrosion issue is all down to the quality of the fitting
    ....and the material it is made of.

Advertisement