Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Reg District or Volume Number - Why?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

I'm helping a friend do a little family research. I've come across what I believe to be one of her ancestors death record - one problem. There appears to be no Reg District and no Volume No. on FMP . Just a page number. It's Christopher McKitterick ( death) 1929 . Why is this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

error in the transcription, or possibly the entry could not be read.

Either check the Index Books in the GRO research room, or wait for the official GRO Indexes to go online and see if they have the correct entry. (hopefully to be on the IrishGenealogy website this year)

p.s. just to confirm FamilySearch Index is the same - all the Irish BMD Index data available at present originates from their transcripts

EDIT : no quarter on the Index entry either

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Hi Desbrook

I just checked UK outward passenger lists - a Christopher McKitterick, Forest Road, Swords, age 43, Trainer, embarked for Shanghai, on 14 Aug 1928, on the SS Lahore [UK Outward passenger Lists 1890-1960]; would this be the same man? Could he have died abroad? There were other trainers and electricians on the same voyage [maybe the ESB mission to China?]

Further information on the Christopher McKitterick who went to Shanghai:
    The McKittrick family were living in Swords in 1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Swords/North_Street/1267247/ including Christopher who was a 15 year old letter carrier.

Christopher M’Kittrick, born 1885: registration details: Apr-Jun 1885, Balrothery, Vol2, p382

He died at sea - see extract from UK will calendar:
    England & Wales National Probate Calendar of Wills 1931 p305:
    McKittrick, Christopher of Shanghai, China, died 31 July 1929 at sea. Administration London 4 June to John William McKittrick, Civil servant. Effects £172 2s 7d in England.

I checked yesterday for a possible Administration or Will in Ireland and there didn't appear to be any listing... will double check in case it was a few years after death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Thanks guys - yes, knew he travelled to China 1928 alright as did his family. Yes its the right guy . Will pass on to this "news" to them . Christopher was pivotal in a local event here 100 years ago -

http://www.theirishstory.com/2013/07/15/the-principal-rallying-ground-for-the-larkinites-the-swords-riot-of-1913/#.UtfRFdJdWSo

• Advertisement

No sign of an Admin. or Probate in Ireland up to 1940 that I can see for Christopher, so looks like the one processed in England that KildareFan found is the only one. (a gt-grandfather of mine, who was born and lived died in Dublin had probate processing shown in both Dublin and London)

Overseas deaths are usually easier to spot on the FamilySearch index as they have an unusual place name. afaik they dont have these the research room, and you have to order from GRO Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

shanew wrote: »
    error in the transcription, or possibly the entry could not be read.

Either check the Index Books in the GRO research room, or wait for the official GRO Indexes to go online and see if they have the correct entry. (hopefully to be on the IrishGenealogy website this year)

p.s. just to confirm FamilySearch Index is the same - all the Irish BMD Index data available at present originates from their transcripts

EDIT : no quarter on the Index entry either
    Any idea when the GRO indexes will be on line? I am holding back my research a bit hoping this info will make it all a bit easier.

I had thought it was to be done by the end of 2013.

Interesting piece - it may be of interest that another Swords man accompanied Christopher to Shanghai on the same ship - a John Knowd, from Main Street Swords also a 'trainer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

KildareFan wrote: »
    Interesting piece - it may be of interest that another Swords man accompanied Christopher to Shanghai on the same ship - a John Knowd, from Main Street Swords also a 'trainer'.

Yes a lifelong buddy - they were involved together in the 1913 disturbances and subsequent court proceedings .

Any idea when the GRO indexes will be on line? I am holding back my research a bit hoping this info will make it all a bit easier.

I had thought it was to be done by the end of 2013.

I think the plan was to have the processing finished during 2013, and the data online soon after, but haven't heard any recent updates. These types of projects with large amounts of data always have issues and often take longer than originally planned.

Keep an eye here for updates from Irish Genealogy News

• Advertisement

desbrook wrote: »
    Yes a lifelong buddy - they were involved together in the 1913 disturbances and subsequent court proceedings .

Christopher had a bit of previous:

Swords Court: 2 Sep 1910 Christopher McKittrick, Swords, CoDublin, brought up by Acting Sgt John Brennan, RIC, Swords: charge: Defendanton the 5th Day of August 1910 at Swords in said district and countydid cause to be used a vehicle on the public street during the period betweenone hour after sunset and one hour before sunrise without having a lamp. Viz 9.50pmon the off or right side, such vehicle in proper working order lighted andproperly attached as required by ???? [can’t read writing]

Defendant duly convicted and ordered to pay fine of 6/- andfor costs of 1/- [Irish Petty Sessions Court Registers]

And here he is in 1913:
    Swords Petty Sessions 9 Oct 1913
    Constable Patrick Levine RIC, Swords, v Christopher McKitterick, Forest Road, Swords; ‘Defendant did at Swords in said district and county on the 8th October 1913 with certain other disorderly persons unlawfully obstruct Sergt Michael Leydon RIC and other Constables in the execution of their duty while protecting certain cattle and further that his conduct was calculated and likely to lead to disturbance and breaches of the peace.

Defendant ordered to enter into recognizance himself in the sum of five pounds with two sureties in the sum of £2-10-0 each, conditioned that he keeps the peace and be of good behaviour towards all His Majesty’s Subjects for the space of twelve months. In default of entering into such security, defendant ordered to be imprisoned in the Gaol at Mountjoy for the space of one month unless recognizance be entered into.

Advertisement