Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to rent. No answers.

Options
  • 15-01-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Im currently looking for new apt to rent, unfortunate without. The problem which I have that agencies arent returning any calls even that the apt in case I called is still empty after a week or two. For 6 agencies only 1 returned call.
    Im just curious is that normal behavior or just my area is that? Plus is it normal to ask for bank details and last 1 month bank statement? Soon ill have to give blood and poo sample. Felt like criminal on one of the viewings, so many details wanted by agent.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 bigdone

It sound like recesion is over, ignorats back on duty. Couple years ago when we asked agent to show us the house in Skerries, he said he is not willing to drive due to bad weather and we can go and have a look around the buildung - outside! ps. we werent't rentting, we were cash buyers. I won't name the agancy, but you will find more of this around. Maybe you should try privat landlords.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Im currently looking for new apt to rent, unfortunate without. The problem which I have that agencies arent returning any calls even that the apt in case I called is still empty after a week or two. For 6 agencies only 1 returned call.
    Im just curious is that normal behavior or just my area is that? Plus is it normal to ask for bank details and last 1 month bank statement? Soon ill have to give blood and poo sample. Felt like criminal on one of the viewings, so many details wanted by agent.

Try emailing as well as calls, and if they don't ring you back try ringing them again. It's frustrating because the market is fairly crazy at the moment, but you just have to be persistent.

No, it's not normal to ask for the bank statement and id recommend not giving such information (they possibly want to try to squeeze up the rent). Giving your bank details may be relevant for a dd, but usually rent is set up by standing order, and even then only when the lease is agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

That's what was weird for me as well. After viewing I got a spreadsheet to put my details, bam in things which I would need to hand to agency, bank statement. Felt weird then, somehow I can understand that they want to check what ppl want to rent, but that was kinda to much. Something like "ow look You are to poor to rent it".
    After like 5th call and/or email I usually resign even with something good with decent price tag. Just not worth my time and nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

What area are you looking in ?

Co.Wicklow. Around Bray/Greystones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I wouldn't be surprised in Dublin didnt know it would be like that in wick
    Klow. Interesting.

Yeap, like few years back my phone would be red from agents ringing me but now the phone is stone cold. To be honest it wouldnt be so bad if agencies at least would be honest, instead of "thx for calling, we'll be in touch" just say it straight "**** off". If our family roster at work wouldnt be so bad, like 1hr difference between our shifts , we probably would move further to the south. Cheaper and nicer agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Try emailing as well as calls, and if they don't ring you back try ringing them again. It's frustrating because the market is fairly crazy at the moment, but you just have to be persistent.

No, it's not normal to ask for the bank statement and id recommend not giving such information (they possibly want to try to squeeze up the rent). Giving your bank details may be relevant for a dd, but usually rent is set up by standing order, and even then only when the lease is agreed.
    My experience over the last one and a half years of house hunting is you will get about a 10% reply rate for emails sent via the Daft email system.

I finally bought direct from the vendor.

FFS.... It looks that it would be easier to sneak into Obama's bed. Countless calls and no answers... I need to fake my english german accent, maybe that will help/

Advertisement