Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Help Needed

Options
  • 15-01-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Doesn't anyone know how to do the 2014 sec sample paper 1 question 7 , really stuck :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Level?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Which level?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pinkymary

oh sorry higher

Ah the jelly bean box question..

Is it a specific part you need help with or just all of it?

Can you express the dimensions in terms of h? (part a)

yes that question , need help with everything :s, thanks :)

• Advertisement

33c5cdf5657510aa09016940d3684ef3.png

In part a, you have to write down the dimensions of the box in terms of h.

For width, it would be 22 cm take away the length of the two flaps which are both 1cm each and the two hs

For length, take away the 1cm of the flap and the 2 hs of the sides from 31cm. But that gives you with the sum of the length of the bottom and top and they're both equal so you can divide it by two to get the expression for either one.

For part b, it's only asking you to do the volume of the box, in terms of h. You have the three sides, you should be able to do that.

Part c, for a square base, the length has to be equal to the width. Do that and solve for h. Once you have h, use it to prove that the volume it gives is the volume of the box given in the question. You should have an expression for volume of the box from part 3 where you can sub in h.

Part d, this one is a little bit more complicated. Let the expression for the volume of the box be equal to 500. Now, this is a cubic expression and you know one of the roots, from part c, it's asking you to find another root. If the answer you got from c was 5, the root, h-5 is a factor. Do you know how to divide cubic equations? Divide it by h-5 and you will get a quadratic, factorise that and get the other 2 roots, only one of them is valid.

I'll do part e in a second.

Thank you so much :)

Okay, part e.

If they increase the volume by 10%, the volume will be 550cm cubed. If you look at the graph, the only value of h that gives a volume of 550 is just over 17cm.

But since the length and width remains the same, 15-h and 20-2h. h=17 point whatever isn't valid because the dimensions of the base would be negative..and you can't have a negative distance.
    pinkymary wrote: »
    Thank you so much :)

You're welcome.

IIRC, studentxpress.ie has solutions to past papers and the sample paper. You might find them useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 moss1234

Does anyone know how to do question 9 b (ii) and (iii) and also c (i) and (ii) on the sec sample paper 1 2014, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

moss1234 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to do question 9 b (ii) and (iii) and also c (i) and (ii) on the sec sample paper 1 2014, thanks :)

I might be wrong about c(ii), you might be better off asking in the maths forum about it. I think the others are correct though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 moss1234

Ompala wrote: »
    I might be wrong about c(ii), you might be better off asking in the maths forum about it. I think the others are correct though.

Thanks a million :)

Advertisement