Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing for pike on Salmon river

Options
  • 15-01-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm planning on fishing the Liffey (public sections) for pike on the fly rod this year.

I practice C+R for all species. If I caught a salmon (and was seen by Fisheries / another angler) would I be at risk of being done for poaching. This never crossed my mind when using hard / soft lures there over the years, but I'm wondering would I have a hard time explaining it as an accidental capture while using fly gear on a known Salmon water ?

I've no intention of buying a Salmon license to cover me, I'd just stick to the canals if there was a risk.

I'd be interested in hearing what the Internet thinks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Single barbless and you should be ok..
    The flies are very different
    Maybe double check with an e mail to Ifi to cover oneself!

fiacha wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I'm planning on fishing the Liffey (public sections) for pike on the fly rod this year.

I practice C+R for all species. If I caught a salmon (and was seen by Fisheries / another angler) would I be at risk of being done for poaching. This never crossed my mind when using hard / soft lures there over the years, but I'm wondering would I have a hard time explaining it as an accidental capture while using fly gear on a known Salmon water ?

I've no intention of buying a Salmon license to cover me, I'd just stick to the canals if there was a risk.

I'd be interested in hearing what the Internet thinks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭dazza161989

I have cleared this with the ifi before so you will have no problems as long as you:

• target pike(i.e. Pike specific flies, gear etc)

•Use single barbless hooks

•If you unintentionally hook a salmon or a sea trout you release it immediately unharmed.

Happy angling and tight lines.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The flies and tackle are so different that you should have no problem - once you're fishing actual pike flies, wire/toughened nylon leader, etc no fishery officer is going to think you're fishing for salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

More reason to have the all Ireland fishing licence to clear all the lose ends up..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The whole thing of pike only flies is a bit much.
    How many of you have caught fish on lures or bait that weren't intended for the species you actually caught.
    I've caught pike on maggots. Once caught a Rudd on a small mepps and hooked a salmon ( lost it) on a mepps 1 aswell.
    Most fish will attack anything that flashes out of pure aggression.
    No one can say anything as long as the fish is returned safely.

• Advertisement

The whole thing of pike only flies is a bit much.
    How many of you have caught fish on lures or bait that weren't intended for the species you actually caught.
    I've caught pike on maggots. Once caught a Rudd on a small mepps and hooked a salmon ( lost it) on a mepps 1 aswell.
    Most fish will attack anything that flashes out of pure aggression.
    No one can say anything as long as the fish is returned safely.

A fisheries officer could issue a fine or prosecution if the angler in question could not prove he is solely targeting pike. It is not a question of whether another species of fish will attack the fly , as we know this is often the case, but you must show in your tactics that you are trying to target your chosen species.

I.e. If an officer arrived on the bank and he was speycasting a double handed rod with an allys shrimp on the tale he would have some job trying to say he was targeting river pike!!

Pike tackle, pike flies and a steel leader and he would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Seller159

danbrosnan wrote: »
    More reason to have the all Ireland fishing licence to clear all the lose ends up..

Hi where would i get an all ireland fishing licence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭fiacha

Thanks for the feedback folks. I'll crack on as planned.

Given the state of my casting, I'd be more of a danger to myself than the salmon anyway :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Seller159 wrote: »

There isn't one, Dan was referring to the idea of one for all species, which would avoid any confusion over whether an angler was fishing legally for any species or not. You only need a licence to fish for salmon and/or sea trout in the ROI.

Zzippy wrote: »
    There isn't one, Dan was referring to the idea of one for all species, which would avoid any confusion over whether an angler was fishing legally for any species or not. You only need a licence to fish for salmon and/or sea trout in the ROI.

i really hope that licence doesn't come to fruition, personally i feel it would turn alot of beginners away from attempting the sport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

i really hope that licence doesn't come to fruition, personally i feel it would turn alot of beginners away from attempting the sport

Speaking as a beginner who is just getting into the sport, I find the permit system even more confusing than Dublin Bus fares, and the prospect of getting it wrong is at least three times more scary.

I'd be all for a one size fits all license.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

syklops wrote: »
    Speaking as a beginner who is just getting into the sport, I find the permit system even more confusing than Dublin Bus fares, and the prospect of getting it wrong is at least three times more scary.

I'd be all for a one size fits all license.

why?? its fairly simple at the minute just answer this question,

1. do you intend to fish for salmon and/or seatrout?

did you answer yes? if so please purchase a rod license,
    did you answer no? if so fish away you're grand so!

According to fishingireland.info:
    In the Republic of Ireland State Salmon and Sea Trout Licences are available as a National licence or a District Licence. A National Licence covers all Fishery Board Districts while a District Licence covers only the Fishery District in which the licence is purchased. A list of fishing tackle shops where licences may be bought is available on this site. Alternatively you can buy a licence online. It should be noted that a licence does not confer the right to fish for salmon or sea trout and that permission or permits are required to fish most waters.

Anglers in the Shannon Region must have a Permit (ticket charge) to fish for trout, pike or coarse fish in the Midland Fisheries Group of controlled waters. This area comprises the following river catchments; RIVER SUCK, RIVER INNY, RIVER BROSNA, LITTLE BROSNA RIVER and CAMLIN RIVER. This permit is not required to fish the main River Shannon or other fisheries whose fishing rights are NOT under the control of the Inland Fisheries Ireland.

Hence my confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭floattuber_lee

Anglers in the Shannon Region must have a Permit (ticket charge) to fish for trout, pike or coarse fish in the Midland Fisheries Group of controlled waters. This area comprises the following river catchments; RIVER SUCK, RIVER INNY, RIVER BROSNA, LITTLE BROSNA RIVER and CAMLIN RIVER. This permit is not required to fish the main River Shannon or other fisheries whose fishing rights are NOT under the control of the Inland Fisheries Ireland.

is that not a separate thing altogether though? as in nothing to do with IFI

is that not a separate thing altogether though? as in nothing to do with IFI

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Seller159 wrote: »

You'll have to wait till 2015 to get one!! At the moment like another poster said its more confusing then every other scandal in this country…

danbrosnan wrote: »
    You'll have to wait till 2015 to get one!! At the moment like another poster said its more confusing then every other scandal in this country…

Its not just me then.

Advertisement