Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook help

Options
  • 15-01-2014 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi all.
    I know most people are sick of which laptop threads (I know im sick of reading them) but I would like some advice on buying my frist mac.

Basically im stuck between all the options, non retina pro (heavy, but easily fixable), retina pro (powerful, mid weight, but fecked if anything goes wrong) and the air ( light, more fixable than the retina, but may regret the lack of punch down the line)

Ill attach the specs and prices im looking at in picture files below.

Ill be using it for all the standard stuff (browsing, word etc), maybe a bit of photo editing but nothing heavy, and chemical drawing programs, mestre nova etc.

Also i would use it for guitar pro, and garage band for a little recording.

(and yes ive decided i want a mac, and to get away from windows for good)

Im just scared that if i go with the retina and it breaks im screwed, but if i go with the older one i could keep it going for years and years cause everything is easily replaceable

in the links, left to right - MBP, rMBP, Air

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

If any of them break they'll probably need to go to a repair centre. Get the retina.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Austmcc

I dont agree with you there. the non retina MBP, with the right tools, is easily repairable once you know what the issue is. a quick google, or even the ifixit teardown will tell you that.

also if the retina screen fails, youre talking big money to replace it cause of how its made and incorperated into the chassis

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭justback83

I used the MacBook pro for 2.5 years during my postdoc. I ran a lot of "chemistry" programs (ChemDraw, various NMR programs etc) and the laptop was running as efficiently as the first day that I got it when I handed it back at the end of my research. The model I had was a 13" MacBook pro, it was the late 2009 version so I don't think it was retina. The display was still superior to whatever Windows based laptops/PC's were knocking around.

Im not too concerned regarding will it run the chemistry programs. im sure the air can handle them. its just its a lot of money for a laptop and i want to make sure it lasts a long time. Theres no point spending 1400 euro on something that will break in 3-4 years, and in the case of the rMBP, and a little the air, there is no way to fix it other than getting a new laptop.

Austmcc wrote: »
    Im not too concerned regarding will it run the chemistry programs. im sure the air can handle them. its just its a lot of money for a laptop and i want to make sure it lasts a long time. Theres no point spending 1400 euro on something that will break in 3-4 years, and in the case of the rMBP, and a little the air, there is no way to fix it other than getting a new laptop.

Myself and my girlfriend have been using Macs for 14 years (2 iMacs, 4 Powerbooks/MacBook Pros). Everyone of these computers lasted five years without a hardware problem. Of course you could get unlucky, so spend the extra couple of hundred euro on Applecare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The retina is worth the money IMO. I have 2010 MBP non retina and I really wish I held out for one retina models!

Pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭nutts_77

Have a 4 year old macbook that's just given up. Didn't get a lot of work. Been quoted 800 yoyo's for a logic board. Hard to justify.

A logic board is always going to be an expensive fix, regardless of what laptop you have. And im not concerned about whether the retina is worth the money. the specs above show id be spending more speccing up the air anyway. its all about fixability and longevity. In reality, any fix required on the retina will either be costly or impossible. nobody has really answered my question except Jack K.

Also applecare is worthless. youre covered with a one year apple warranty, and two year eu law warranty, so essentially youre paying 250euro and up for just the last year. you would probably be better off getting insurance on it

Ive just been in contact with the mestre nova people and their software is not optimised for retina display. since i use this software every day that rules out the retina MBP. atleast that narrows down my choices. It apparently will be optimised in the next update but I dont know when that will be

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Austmcc wrote: »
    A logic board is always going to be an expensive fix, regardless of what laptop you have. And im not concerned about whether the retina is worth the money. the specs above show id be spending more speccing up the air anyway. its all about fixability and longevity. In reality, any fix required on the retina will either be costly or impossible. nobody has really answered my question except Jack K.

Also applecare is worthless. youre covered with a one year apple warranty, and two year eu law warranty, so essentially youre paying 250euro and up for just the last year. you would probably be better off getting insurance on it

Ive just been in contact with the mestre nova people and their software is not optimised for retina display. since i use this software every day that rules out the retina MBP. atleast that narrows down my choices. It apparently will be optimised in the next update but I dont know when that will be

Not again, how many times is this incorrect information going to be posted?
    Ireland did not implement the 2 year warranty part of the EU Regulation as, according to the Government, better protection is afforded by the Sale of Goods Act 1980. Therefore, if you have a problem, you must go through the Small claims court.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Not again, how many times is this incorrect information going to be posted?
    Ireland did not implement the 2 year warranty part of the EU Regulation as, according to the Government, better protection is afforded by the Sale of Goods Act 1980. Therefore, if you have a problem, you must go through the Small claims court.

sorry didnt know that. its whats posted on the apple site under legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The principal is that we have even stronger protection here than 2 years. Apple are finally catching on that they cannot fob off European customers with 12month warranties any more.

For what it's worth, I got the rMBP before Christmas. It's a really great machine.

Advertisement