Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RC car, where and what to buy?

Options
  • 15-01-2014 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭

Hi -- firstly, apologies if this is an annoying question, but I'm looking for some advice on a first RC car.

I know a thing or two about how engines work, etc. (own two motorbikes that I fiddle with), but I'm not a mechanic or an expert.

My friend recently got an RC on-road car. It is fiddly has hell, but great fun once it's tuned properly.

So I decided I would like to get something similar, as it seems like a good hobby for someone interested in engines, etc.

Sooo...I'd be very grateful if someone could recommend a car to get (and why), and place to buy them. I'm interested in a nitro or petrol, budget between 2-3 hundred. Something that is fun (fast and easy to control), easy to setup and fix (relatively), and has spare parts that can be bought without too much hassle. Whether on-road or off-road, I'm undecided for now...could be persuaded to either side.

Any recommendations? Tips?

Although I'd like to support Irish shops, I've heard off a few people that RC stuff in Ireland is ridiculously expensive, so I wouldn't mind buying from abroad or even as far away as the states if there are big savings to be made.

I'm 28 and I tend to get absorbed and stick at hobbies for a long time, so I don't mind spending a little bit more as opposed to buying the cheapest just because it's my first.

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

rat_race wrote: »
    Hi -- firstly, apologies if this is an annoying question, but I'm looking for some advice on a first RC car.

I know a thing or two about how engines work, etc. (own two motorbikes that I fiddle with), but I'm not a mechanic or an expert.

My friend recently got an RC on-road car. It is fiddly has hell, but great fun once it's tuned properly.

So I decided I would like to get something similar, as it seems like a good hobby for someone interested in engines, etc.

Sooo...I'd be very grateful if someone could recommend a car to get (and why), and place to buy them. I'm interested in a nitro or petrol, budget between 2-3 hundred. Something that is fun (fast and easy to control), easy to setup and fix (relatively), and has spare parts that can be bought without too much hassle. Whether on-road or off-road, I'm undecided for now...could be persuaded to either side.

Any recommendations? Tips?

Although I'd like to support Irish shops, I've heard off a few people that RC stuff in Ireland is ridiculously expensive, so I wouldn't mind buying from abroad or even as far away as the states if there are big savings to be made.

I'm 28 and I tend to get absorbed and stick at hobbies for a long time, so I don't mind spending a little bit more as opposed to buying the cheapest just because it's my first.

Thanks for the help!

I am looking to buy RC car myself, but I want to go electric model way. From my own experience so far, there are not many choices for reasonable price. Looks like best websites are:

http://radiocontrolledshop.ie/

and

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Worth going along to a club and asking their advice. 1/8 Nitros are raced at St Annes and Navan outdoor, 1/10th electrics are raced at DMCC indoor all year round in north dublin.
    With nitro buggy/trucks, 1//8th is popular. I reckon get something you can race with, driving around the garden can get boring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

If its a hobby youd like to stick at and get absorbed into the only way it stays interesting is to go racing. I can promise you driving around car parks and fields gets boring fast, theres no challenge and nothing to aim for.
    It becomes a lot more fun when you are trying to knock a couple of seconds off your lap time and make your car behave how you want it.

Im just home from Weds night racing indoors, having improved how my car handles and knocking half a second off my lap time and im chuffed... (I need a life!!)

Id also say to you not to rule out electric as they are fast, clean and just as much fun as nitro.
    If you aren't sure what youd like go to a couple of clubs and look at whats going on. Talk to the guys there. Youll get good advice as to where and what to buy.
    Im making a guess your are in the greater Dublin area, so as cinciano says, theres a club in Navan racing 1/8th (quite big) nitro and electric off road.
    Theres the Dublin model car club racing 1/10th electric off road (indoors on astro turf). Theres Orca racing 1/8th and 1/10th on road in St annes in raheny.
    Why not go along some sunday and have a look at whats happening and make your mind up from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thanks for the responses, sounds like I should pop over to a club!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Just as a passers-by comment;

I had a 1/10th scale nitro a couple of years back and it's they're so much fun! I tend to fiddle with and take everything appart aswell (engineers syndrome) and they're as much fun laying disassembled on a desk as they are racing. great little things to learn from!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Where would be a good place to buy a second hand petrol rc?

WikiHow wrote: »
    Where would be a good place to buy a second hand petrol rc?
    I'd say lads in the clubs would be where to go.
    Navan club is nitro, here's their site: http://murray135.com/nnn/nnnforum/
    St. Annes club has a forum here: http://forum.orcaireland.ie/
    Usually lads have upgraded their cars and there's stuff for sale.

If you want to buy in england (few irish lads on here too), look here:
    http://www.oople.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Its nice to have an advice from club. Its sucks if you live outside of Dublin though. In cork there is only one spot for off-road racing.
    I am in contact with ( owner I guess ) over email and I asked if I can come over and have a look at hobby it self, but I did not got a definite answer yet. In fairness to him, he gave me a link to a good Nitro Starter car, which was around 200-250eu mark. I said that I want to get electric one and he pointed me in to 600eu and 800eu Buggies... :eek:

Problem is they race 1/8 scale and 1/8 scale buggies are not really popular and mainstream, so their prices are off the charts. I want to try out sport and have a go at it, but no way I will be spending 800eu starting off, when I dont even know if I will like this hobby. I already read/sow a lot off horror stories where people spend hundreds and it just sits in a shed.

If I will be able to get on track it self and talk to more people, maybe I will get more advice in realistic price range. If not, then my hobby is ended before I even managed to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Problem is they race 1/8 scale and 1/8 scale buggies are not really popular and mainstream, so their prices are off the charts.

That's not actually true, there were approx. 50 drivers racing at national level last year. That's a pretty serious number for an island this size.

Their prices are off the charts because that's "pro race" type cars.
    Theres plenty of electric rtr stuff well less than that available.
    Here:
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/rc-electric-models/rc-car-categories/9900/990010&MSAttributeID[82]=23

Here:
    http://modeltune.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=661_897

Im not going to recommend you a 1/8th car as I don't know enough about them. If I was going to buy one myself id go over to the club in Navan and ask the guys there.

As I said before go to the club and talk to the people there, there will be different levels of racer there, guys with cars that cost the same as a small house, and guys with cars that cost them 200-300 quid.
    You might even find theres a few second hand cars up for sale which would be ideal starter cars.
    If you know the next day they are racing just go out and meet people there, don't ask for wait till you have permission, just go out when theres racing on.

Its likely you don't have a definitive answer as its now winter and outdoor clubs cant be sure to be racing every weekend due to weather. Maybe the guy doesn't know exactly when the next race day is. Its usually posted on their Facebook page when racing is happening.

Just to point out that in Dublin there is also just one place for off roading (currently)

Ill give you an example. 2 or 3 weeks ago a guy showed up at the Dublin model car club. He was thinking giving it a go. He walked in and said hello to someone. Before he knew it someone had made him a cup o tea, and was showing him all the different levels of car and was telling him all about the things he would need. He was brought out onto the track to watch the racing.
    He didn't want to spend a fortune and was put in touch with a club member selling a decent car. He now has a car for less than 100 quid, got a few bits of the electrics for a few quid more and is now up and running and ready to race.
    When he arrives to race, he will be put into a heat with other beginners so hes not being lapped 10 times in a race.

A user on boards has a truggy, there was a part broken on it. He dropped over to the club. We sorted him out with bits. He then came back as was having difficulty with the electronics. One of the resident experts sorted his car out and hes now up and running.

Clubs like to help people out, as its a small hobby and we are only delighted to help out fellow toy car nerds.....

Yeah, don't wait for an invitation, just go along when you know they'll be there, you'll be welcome.
    If you buy a car and decide you don't like it, chances are that you can sell it anyway. But a club is the way to go, it'll more than likely end up in a shed if you just take it out the odd time to drive around the garden or local park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

Hi,

There's racing in Navan this Sunday (the 19th) if you are interested in looking around.

I know from experience how helpful the guys at the track can be.

Be aware that it is a race day and some people will be busy but you should always be able to find someone in the new Club House that will help.

If you are there you can ask for me (Rob) I'll be around most of the day.

The track is open from around 9.30 in the morning to about 3pm - depending on how the day goes and the weather.

Although we focus on 1/8 buggies (both Nitro and Electric) we have had some great 1/10th races there as well. Sunday will be a 1/8th racing day.

Well, my point was that there is a lot bigger choice in 1/10 buggies then 1/8. Bigger choice means bigger price range and more competition to drive prices down.
    As I said, I was pointed to two buggies: HPI FORZA which is 549£ on sale now and still needs charger and batteries or Inferno VE, which is 450eu and needs batteries and charger too.
    So I hope you understand, that I am not saying that there is no cheaper versions, I am saying that it was recomended to me by someone who is in to Hobby and hosts a local RC track. As I said, the person was very helpful and I am very thankful for help, but if thats 2 recomendations for someone who wants to start off as a Nooby, then I cant afford paying that on something I dont know I will really like. If there are cheaper versions, then awesome. I want to know them.
    Now dont understand me wrong, I dont want a red carpet thrown for me before I come over. I just want to know that I am allowed and I am not being someone who is not welcomed. You can call it simple etiquette and common sense from my side.
    Thanks for invatation to Navan Track, but driving up to Navan from Cork does not work for me. I hope I dont need explain why.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

There are cheaper 1/10th and 1/8th cars available and second hand.

It all depends on what you want and how far you want to go, you can certainly have a lot of fun at any price - I've had a lot of fun with tiny 1/32 scale cars in the office!

Some of the guys come to Navan from Cork regularly - but they also have their own outdoor track now too so you can contact them.

The 'Navan Nitro Nuts' facebook page will have details on how to contact them if you want to.

Altoid wrote: »
    There are cheaper 1/10th and 1/8th cars available and second hand.

It all depends on what you want and how far you want to go, you can certainly have a lot of fun at any price - I've had a lot of fun with tiny 1/32 scale cars in the office!

Some of the guys come to Navan from Cork regularly - but they also have their own outdoor track now too so you can contact them.

The 'Navan Nitro Nuts' facebook page will have details on how to contact them if you want to.

I want 1/8 electric buggy to start off. Budget 300eu. No point for me going 1/10 or even 1/32 if I wont be able to race it on local track. One of the advice was - get in to racing as driving in a field will get boring quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭stephenmarr

Check out
    http://www.modelsport.co.uk/
    and
    http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/

Also stick with well know brands as spares will be easily found and they will be more durable.

The HPI Firestorm is a very capable buggy and a tough one as well it is 1/10th scale but best all rounder.

http://www.adverts.ie/radio-control/hpi-e-firestorm-flux-brushless/4369199

Advertisement