Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spraying alloy wheels

Options
  • 15-01-2014 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a set of rs6 alloy wheels. I want to re spray them but have not a clue where to start. I have to put on a primer apparently. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it DIY and costs and materials needed. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I have a set of rs6 alloy wheels. I want to re spray them but have not a clue where to start. I have to put on a primer apparently. Can anyone give me a step by step on how to do it DIY and costs and materials needed. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thanks

PM Tossy. He did a good DIY wheel refurb guide a while back. I'm sure he has a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

To be honest its hard work and a very time consuming process and difficult to do a good job. With the cost of all the materials you'll need its probably better to get a professional job done. I've sprayed 2 sets, the first was a poor job and the second was better but very very labour intensive job with manual sanding and can spraying. The last set I got sprayed by a professional for about double the cost of what the materials alone would have cost me.

If you still want to do it there are plenty of vids on youtube and guides on the internet but be prepared for a hard slog to do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Got a bike frame done here, they had plenty of wheels that were looking well. Might be cheaper/better in the long run than DIY.

http://http://www.tallaghtpowdercoating.ie/tallaght-powder-coating-auto-home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Radfix in liosbawn do this.

Ask for Keith I think its around 60e a wheel for sandblasting and refurb.

If you are gonna undertake it yourself make sure and spend a good while keying them back and rubbing down with ipa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Tried to do it on a wheel myself a couple of years ago. As was mentioned, very labour intensive and nigh impossible to do a good job with an aerosol can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I refurbed a set I had a year or two ago, it took me about two weeks stripping, sanding, repairing road rash etc etc priming, sanding again, painting two coats and lastly a coat of lacquer. The came out very good and I was well pleased with them. Have another set to do now but they'll be harder as they're multi spoke and so more labour intensive whereas the others were a simple 5 spoke wheel.

Advertisement