Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I Bought An Ouya .....

Options
  • 15-01-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭

So I bought an Ouya today , it's being delivered Friday or Monday .

Initially I intend to use it for XBMC .

I have done a bit of reading up about it and did a search here on the forums but noticed it didn't have it's own thread as such .

Does anyone have any tips or tricks , " you should do this first , but don't do this " advice or any advice in general . I have seen some of the tutorials about how to bypass the ' entering credit card details ' and about how to put on the Play Store but I haven't delved to deeply into them .

Any and all advice welcome .

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Out of curiosity, how much did you buy it for.

I've seen pics of them in goodwill shops selling for next to nothing (USA) but they are actually decent at streaming Movies with XBMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I had a discount voucher and gift card for Maplins so in cash it cost me €76 , but the actual cost in Maplins is €134 I think .

I should have came back to this

I collected it on Friday afternoon but didn't get to open it until Saturday morning . Set up and running in about an hour with an external hard drive connected and XBMC installed and all ready to play my movies . For now I am only using the standard OUYA version of XBMC but I might give one of the nightly builds a go over the weekend . It is doing exactly what I wanted it to do so I am extremely happy with it .

I should have came back to this

I collected it on Friday afternoon but didn't get to open it until Saturday morning . Set up and running in about an hour with an external hard drive connected and XBMC installed and all ready to play my movies . For now I am only using the standard OUYA version of XBMC but I might give one of the nightly builds a go over the weekend . It is doing exactly what I wanted it to do so I am extremely happy with it .

• Registered Users Posts: 14 leo505050

Really want one of these mainly for the emulators, I already have XBMC on my AppleTV 2 & MX Android box.

What Maplins did you get it from, Childers Rd Retail Park?

• Advertisement

Yup , they are only on their catalogue but they will order it in for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Hi Jonski,

have you tried any video repo in XBMC, Sportsdevil etc? How well do they run?

I tried them last night for the first time . I used a link I found in another thread for xbmchub and installed that . TBH and without wanting to discuss anything that I shouldn't on here I was very impressed with movie quality but I was disappointed with live sports casts . The smoothness ( if thats the right word ) was fine , no real buffering problems or anything like that but I am guessing the technology still isn't quiet there yet for picture quality , you would want to be a hardened fan of a particular team to sit and watch it , I'd say it's maybe 480 quality . This was my first experience of it to be fair so I wouldn't be that well up on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

jonski wrote: »
    I was disappointed with live sports casts . The smoothness ( if thats the right word ) was fine , no real buffering problems or anything like that but I am guessing the technology still isn't quiet there yet for picture quality , you would want to be a hardened fan of a particular team to sit and watch it , I'd say it's maybe 480 quality

That sounds (and I'm being hopeful) like it might be an inherent problem with the stream rather than the device i.e the quality would be equally as bad watched on a laptop. I'd be interested in your ongoing experience of this.

groom wrote: »
    That sounds (and I'm being hopeful) like it might be an inherent problem with the stream rather than the device i.e the quality would be equally as bad watched on a laptop. I'd be interested in your ongoing experience of this.

Yeah thats what I was trying to say ( badly ) , there are different channels inside sportsdevil and lets say the one we might be most interested in here doesn't work as it says there is script error .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Yeah thats what I was trying to say ( badly ) , there are different channels inside sportsdevil and lets say the one we might be most interested in here doesn't work as it says there is script error .

I think you need to manually update Sportsdevil regularly as the original developer stopped supporting it. I have to do it around once a week which is a bit of a pain. Anyway try Navi-x too for live channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

Guys could I use a USB 3.0 HD with my movies on it or does it have to be 2.0!

I'm using a USB 3 HD on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I'm using a USB 3 HD on mine

Happy with your ouya now? They are decent price on game at the minute and I'm having battle (in my head) about getting one! Primarily for emulators and general games but also xbmc. Doing my swede in with my indecision!

Reviews I've read aren't glowing, but people who have one seem happy enough.

Well to be fair I only use mine for XBMC so I am delighted with it , does what I need it to do without being complicated .

I'm looking for something Android based for the living room (mainly for Reicast and ePSXe). The reviews for the Ouya are awful. I've also heard its support for usb drives/hdds is very hit and miss. The only other thing I could find was the Nvidia Shield but I think that's aimed more at portable gamers.

I'm looking for something Android based for the living room (mainly for Reicast and ePSXe). The reviews for the Ouya are awful. I've also heard its support for usb drives/hdds is very hit and miss. The only other thing I could find was the Nvidia Shield but I think that's aimed more at portable gamers.

All I can say is that for XBMC I have had no problems with it ( outside of my understanding of how to get the most out of XBMC ) and I have no problems connecting any of my USB drives ( 3 different ones ) or USB Sticks or keyboards to it .

Advertisement