Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm renting a room but I've to get out as the landlord wants to rent the whole house - fair enough. A polish woman with 3 children wants to take the house, she's on social welfare. She said she's allowed €1200 max and she will pay €300. She doesn't need any furniture - she's getting the house kitted out for her by social welfare! Like winning the bloody lottery!! Anyways I looked at the citizens information website and as far as I can see the max for her family is €1,000. It's the Clonee area. Is she wrong or right ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    Hi

I'm renting a room but I've to get out as the landlord wants to rent the whole house - fair enough. A polish woman with 3 children wants to take the house, she's on social welfare. She said she's allowed €1200 max and she will pay €300. She doesn't need any furniture - she's getting the house kitted out for her by social welfare! Like winning the bloody lottery!! Anyways I looked at the citizens information website and as far as I can see the max for her family is €1,000. It's the Clonee area. Is she wrong or right ?

I'm not trying to be smart but it's none of your business what this woman is doing.
    The Landlord wants you out, he wants to rent the whole house out.
    Who he rents it to and who rents it and by what means is nothing to do with you.
    Move somewhere else and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

The social welfare most certainly will not be kitting the house out for her, it's up to herself to do that. Was for how much she is entitled to what is on the Ci website is what you are allowed nothing more. Some people certainly know how to play the system and make it work for them but I can tell you that it is most certainly not like winning the lottery.

Meo is right. The SW won't be kitting out the house for this tenant. It's a private property which will either be furnished already or unfurnished and if unfurnished, it's up to the woman to furnish it herself.

The CWO would only discreetly financially assist a person if they are moving into an unfurnished council home and that the person cannot finance it themselves; but it doesn't happen with privately rented homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be smart but it's none of your business what this woman is doing.
    The Landlord wants you out, he wants to rent the whole house out.
    Who he rents it to and who rents it and by what means is nothing to do with you.
    Move somewhere else and be happy.

It is my business when I pay taxes, why should I let her milk the system while I work everyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It is my business when I pay taxes, why should I let her milk the system while I work everyday!

If you suspect welfare fraud you can to report it directly and it will be investigated. https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Advertisement

Nah, I reckon it's sour grapes that you have to move out while this woman is moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

How do you know the woman hasn't worked and paid taxes but cant now due to illness or something? Attitude pisses me off with people, i've been working since I was 16, 15 years that is now hardly ever off work sick (maybe 4 times) and recently I have been out of work due to an injury, I need social help as I cant properly feed and house my family with no wages, I hate when people think everyone is just sponging the system if your on welfare or any other payement type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

billie1b wrote: »
    How do you know the woman hasn't worked and paid taxes but cant now due to illness or something? Attitude pisses me off with people, i've been working since I was 16, 15 years that is now hardly ever off work sick (maybe 4 times) and recently I have been out of work due to an injury, I need social help as I cant properly feed and house my family with no wages, I hate when people think everyone is just sponging the system if your on welfare or any other payement type.

OMG I never said people on social welfare were spongers. I worked for social before and then ended up on it for a while myself. I asked was she claiming more than she should be hence milking the system. Fair enough people who need it and claim fairly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Not really a state benefits matter.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement