Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does 200mb mean 200mb with upc

Options
  • 14-01-2014 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Im looking to get upc's 200mb fibre but im just wondering has anyone else tried it? do you actually get the full 200mb? does it slow down in the evenings? whats the speed over wifi? i could ask customer care but it would be hard to trust them to give straight answers. I'm currently with eircom and my line can get up to 12mb but goes unstable past 10mb

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

You'll have to ask a neighbour (who has it) to get a better idea. However, most areas should be fine and you should get your full speed at most times (incl. peak). Why? Because in order to offer those speeds, UPC will have upgraded their cabling in the area. In doing that, they split larger "loops" so as to reduce any contention issues.

Having said that, even contention of 2:1 (which is extremely low) you'd only get 100Mb, but that's only temporary. Only the larger loops suffer from contention (city centre, older estates, etc.), and even those are reducing.

You won't get 200Mb over WiFi. You'd be doing well to get a tenth of that reliably. If you have good quality WiFi gear, use the 5GHz band and have little interference, then you'll get higher speeds (still not 200Mb), but that's a lot of "ifs"!

Either way you'll get a lot higher a speed than your 10Mb (unless something bad has gone wrong; so bad that you'll get out of any contract commitments). It won't be 200Mb 100% of the time, but in most cases it'll be pretty close to it most of the time, including peak time.

I'm on a newish loop (serving at least 100 houses; with a takeup probably in excess of 33%, but that's just guessing). I have rarely seen it dip below 90% of advertised speed at peak time.

Advertisement