Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitors fees for house purchase

Options
  • 14-01-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Shopping around for solicitor at the moment. Just had first quote for legal fees for house purchase, broken down as follows:
    Prof fees: €1300
    Vat:€299
    Outlays
    Stamp duty 1% house purchase: tbc
    Searches on title €99
    land registry fee on purchase deed: €700
    land registry fee on mortgage: €175
    land registry fee on folio & map: €40
    commissioners fees: €20

I know the outlay costs are fixed but the professional fees look a bit steep to me - any opinions? We are looking at properties in region 330-370k.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

That seems in the ballpark in my experience. You might get lower, but to be honest, a strong recommendation/reference for a solicitor is worth the money you'll save. So ask friends/colleagues for one.

It's not a rule, but the cheaper solicitors may not be as good - they may not provide the efficiency of service you require, adding to the stress. But this isn't always the case by any means.

But scrimping on a solicitor without recommendations may literally cost you the roof over your head if they don't do everything perfectly and allow you to make an informed decision/make informed instructions to your solicitor.

I'm also not sure whether the Law Society limits solicitors fees to within a limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jackal

We purchased 3 months ago. Relatively It was a first registration and included vesting a leasehold property to freehold.

Professional Fee €1650.00
    Vat on Professional Fee @23% €379.50
    Stamp Duty
    Stamp Duty @1% on Purchase Price
    Other Outlays
    Searches €230 .00
    Administrative Fee incl VAT €123.00
    Commissioners Fees €24.00
    Land Registry Fees
    Application for first registration and vesting cert €535.00
    Folio & File Plan €40.00

Similar enough to yourself, you have gotten a cheaper professional fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭caew

I agree it is worth paying a bit more for a recommended solicitor. Mine charges €950 professional fee plus VAT but that is a discounted rate as my work use the firm. The other half rang around and got quotes for €750 and €800 for the professional fee. However, I am sticking with my solicitor as the peace of mind she will do a proper job is worth more than a couple of hundred to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

caew wrote: »
    I agree it is worth paying a bit more for a recommended solicitor. Mine charges €950 professional fee plus VAT but that is a discounted rate as my work use the firm. The other half rang around and got quotes for €750 and €800 for the professional fee. However, I am sticking with my solicitor as the peace of mind she will do a proper job is worth more than a couple of hundred to me.

agreed, totally worth the extra for a diligent and detail orientated solicitor. Mine was like a bull chasing certs and compliance statements, ensuring no issues and delays.

850 + vat for the solicitor plus the other charges such as land registry...etc. all in it came to 2100.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭JR1210

Im going to have to start looking for one soon

Any recommendations around Blanchardstown area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Theres plenty of nice houses in clonsilla,
    try not to buy near council estates .
    Roselawn is a nice area with a good shopping centre,
    Thats a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrsskiggs

Thanks a lot for all the replies folks, good to know that seems to be about right :)

Im looking for one in D5 myself so wouldn't be able to recommend one in Blanch, sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

mrsskiggs wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for all the replies folks, good to know that seems to be about right :)

Im looking for one in D5 myself so wouldn't be able to recommend one in Blanch, sorry

Tough market in D5 at moment isnt it? Suppose depends on budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrsskiggs

Looking for the solicitor in d5 as that's where we're renting! A nice house in D5 would be fantastic but yes it's v tough market. We're looking in Artane/Beaumont/Raheny/Bayside/Kilbarrack areas - not much coming on either it's fairly grim!

Advertisement