Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming while looking after new baby

Options
  • 14-01-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Hi all,

A very good friend of mine and his partner recently had a baby in complicated circumstances. His partner went into hospital months early and they now have a beautiful healthy baby which was delivered prematurely.

Basically he has been unable to work for the past month and will be unable to return for several more weeks as he has to return to the hospital several times daily with his wife. He has been able to get the time off work as his boss who runs a family construction business has been understanding but hasn't been paid in over a month at this stage.

Does anyone have any advice as to what he may be able to claim if anything at this stage, its only going to be a few more weeks but 2 months without pay is a large hit for anyone to take.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

maybe if the mum is claiming maternity benefit there maybe an increase for a non earning partner. call the maternity section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If I were you I would be so very very very stressed that I would have to go to my GP and get a SW sick cert and claim Illness Benefit for a couple of weeks.
    That's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Perhaps have a word with the local CWO.

I know when I had to be in hospital with my son for 2 weeks (a few weeks after returning to work after maternity leave (hubbie on JSA) he gave us a small discretionary payment. Technically I was employed FT, but as I was receiving no income he went to his boss and made this payment due to extenuating circumstances.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

I would also be going to my Dr. your friend must be really stressed from this whole situation and I would be getting my cert back dated to the first day I couldnt go to work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Just been to my GP,he said to close this before I get stressed.

Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement