Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Littlewoods Account signup rejected

Options
  • 14-01-2014 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this so forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm confused about what has happened me and just looking to get some info from other people about it.

I recently signed up for a Littlewoods Ireland account using the form you can download from their website to be referred by someone - getting my mother to refer me as she wanted to get the €20 referral reward. I'm 25, a professional, solvent and have never had outstanding debts or a catalog shopping account before. Two weeks later I received a letter from Littlewoods confirming that my account had been opened and giving me my account number. I promptly went to the website to register for online shopping using my account number but noticed that my account number was being rejected. I contacted their support line and was informed that my account had been closed already (despite my only receiving knowledge of the account details that day!) and that I'd have to ring back during the daytime to get more information on why my account was now closed.

I rang today and was connected through to someone who told me that my account had been flagged as a security concern by their Dublin security team and that I was now automatically going to be rejected from signing up for Littlewoods for the next 12 months. I was also told that no further information would be provided as to why I'd been flagged.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has had a similiar experience and if they could share some insight into why this might have happened. I live in rented accommodation in Dublin 2 - my current address for the last 7 months - and I've lived in Dublin for the last three years and prior to that I was a student in Limerick for five years. I'm mentioning this because it seemed to be heavily implied that my address could have played a factor in my rejection.

Thanks and regards,
    Lorcan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 3noa4i76bsg2ej

That's great advice. However, when I last applied with them I provided all the requested information - previous addresses etc and they couldn't find any information relating to me or any loans I hold. I was baffled! May have to try again. I'd love to know what it says.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I know that Three's internal scoring algorithm uses things like length if time at address and registered voter status to calculate credit risk. Perhaps Littlewoods use similar factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

Melendez wrote: »
    Thanks, that sounds like it could be something interesting to look into!

dudara wrote: »
    I know that Three's internal scoring algorithm uses things like length if time at address and registered voter status to calculate credit risk. Perhaps Littlewoods use similar factors.
    Hmmm, that's interesting. I've moved approximately once a year since I moved to Dublin but I've always had perfectly good reasons for it - who knows how that appears on the outside? I'm also a registered voter since I turned 18 but I'm registered to vote in Limerick rather than in Dublin.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭clevtrev

I tried to buy something that was on bargain alerts a while back with them for a couple of quid. I was in a rush and the website seemed to bring me into an area where the payment would be on credit. I just banged submit and never heard anything for a week or two. eventually I got a letter rejecting my credit application. I am old! a house owner and have a good credit rating. I didnt really want the facility with them anyway so never chased it up but I think their systems are no really up to scratch so advise the op not to take it personally.

clevtrev wrote: »
    I tried to buy something that was on bargain alerts a while back with them for a couple of quid. I was in a rush and the website seemed to bring me into an area where the payment would be on credit. I just banged submit and never heard anything for a week or two. eventually I got a letter rejecting my credit application. I am old! a house owner and have a good credit rating. I didnt really want the facility with them anyway so never chased it up but I think their systems are no really up to scratch so advise the op not to take it personally.
    I'll be honest, my real confusion was being informed that my account was open and then simultaneously being informed that my account had been closed. Makes it all seem a little bit more sinister than merely being dismissed out of hand. However I'm certainly feeling less personally aggrieved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

UK companies have a lot of issues here with the credit searches. There is no central database like the ones maintained by Experian. There is the ICB and Stubbs but they don't give nearly as much info. Postcodes also present a problem, but less so in Dublin.

In some cases in Ireland an address search will be done on the company's internal system. If that address has a poor history and the person checking thinks you have a connection it might be within their discretion to decline the application.

Frankly it varies a great deal fro provider to provider and someone may have just made a mistake. As others have said I'd avoid Littlewoods credit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'll be honest, my real confusion was being informed that my account was open and then simultaneously being informed that my account had been closed. Makes it all seem a little bit more sinister than merely being dismissed out of hand. However I'm certainly feeling less personally aggrieved!

Ask for all your personal details from them under Freedom of Information or Data Protection, not sure which is correct for private companies, the reason why you where rejected should be on your record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's quite possible that whoever used your address before you had an account with them and left it in arrears when they moved out. I was rejected for credit before but I had noticed letters coming in for a previous tenant from Littlewoods, so I figured it out fairly quickly. They don't take risks on people using a fake name to open another account at the same address.

Advertisement