Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naat

Options
  • 14-01-2014 1:58am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello everyone, I found this song on youtube randomly a while ago and I find quite enjoyable to listen to (not a muslim btw) so I asked a few of my muslim colleagues about it, the lyrics excetera. But neither of them are too familiar with the concept of a 'naat' in general so I thought I would post here to share and ask if anyone can tell me a bit more about it. I was aware that passages from the Quran are sung, but I never heard of it being done like this before? My Iranian colleague said it might be more common in other parts of asia to be like this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Yeah, Naats are quite common in Pakistan and India, and maybe not as much in the Arab world (although I don't come from an Arab background, so can't say for sure).

They are a kind of poetry/songs which are sung to praise The Prophet (peace be upon him) or God, so generally wouldn't be passages from the Quran as such, and are often in the local language of a country, e.g. Urdu or Punjabi (main languages of Pakistan), and there are indeed a few Urdu passages in that video you posted, mixed with the English and Arabic.

There's obviously a lot of repetition in the Naat, the main Arabic bits are "La Ilaha Illallah Muhammadur Rasulullah", which translates as "There is no God but Allah, Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah", which is a core Islamic belief, and "Allah hu akbar", which translates as "Allah is great".

The Urdu passages vary and refer to things The Prophet did, e.g. one bit is (as if the singers were talking directly to The Prophet) "At your signal/command, the moon split into two."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭H3aler

Pakistani types are naat full with shirkia words, Even in Pakistan Shirkia customs are common, People take pagan things as islam

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

I don't understand urdu words, but english words exaggerate in praising the Prophet; This is called shirk=polytheism=giving Godly attributes to creation.

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=4014&CATE=108

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭H3aler

whydoc wrote: »
    I don't understand urdu words, but english words exaggerate in praising the Prophet; This is called shirk=polytheism=giving Godly attributes to creation.

http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=4014&CATE=108
    yes pakistani do a lot of shirk.. they are full with ignorance... in some of naat, they place prophet muhammad above god... prophet said don't exaggerate in praising me as christian have made son of marry as God

Advertisement