Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSM dialler issue

Options
  • 14-01-2014 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I live in an apartment complex with two lifts and I am on the management committee. Each lift has a emergency call system where somebody can hold their finger on a button for five seconds and the system dials an emergency response number. This emergency pulse/tone (not sure which one) system is build into the lift control box and the output is simply a twin wire which connects directly to an eircom line.

While this system works fine it does however cost €500 per year to pay line rental for both lines.

To save money I had our electrician link both lines together into a RJ-11 Network Terminating Unit unit in the lift control room and I purchased a GSM dialler, the idea being that in this way we could save on line rental by placing the calls on the mobile network.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-New-Fixed-Terminal-Cellular-Gateway-GSM-home-security-alarm-system-Dialer-/181090624712?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a29d7a4c8

The GSM dialler has an R-J11 connection port.

I would have expected this to be a very simple task but for some reason the GSM dialler is not connecting the call (not a signal issue). Initially I though the GSM dialler was faulty so I borrowed a desk phone from a friend of mine and when connected to the GSM dialler I had no problem making a call through the desk-phone. The desk-phone is some trendy designer phone.

http://www.jacobjensen.com/index2.php#/int/collection/living/telephones/telephone_3/

This is where it gets a little strange. On the cable to the desk-phone between the RJ-11 plugs is a black box that takes four AA batteries which I assume is a power supply for the LCD on the phone as the LCD display switched off when the batteries were removed. When this black box is placed in series between the lift phone output wires and the GSM dialler the call is connected - it works.

No idea what is happening here.

Would appreciate your thoughts...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

While i understand the cost based reasons,i will take it in writing with the lift support company,with the building insurance AND with the management committee to see if changing /adapting the system is legal and covered by their T&Cs.

I reckon is a grey area...and you're looking for troubles !
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 45 revver

Why not have an alarm person install a GSM dialler emergency button in each lift instead?

Also I agree with ctrl_alt_del ... you're paying the 500euro for a what if situation. Why don't you just use the line for something else aswell and give a priority override switch to the lift alarm.

maybe put broadband or something on the eircom line.... that will work independently and still allow someone get additional use out of the line rental...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I think there is a requirement for lifts to be able to call 24/7 help desk in emergency and I don't believe mobile phone service meets these requirements.

My understanding is that it must be a fixed dedicated line that dirrectly calls lift company.
    No operators switch boads etc in between.
    It should also opperate even during a power cut. The lift may not be useable during power cut but any occupiers stuck in lift should be able to raise alarm with lift company

Im sure the lift company would advise better as there is regulation on how all this works

• Registered Users Posts: 45 revver

what if both lifts emergency buttons get pushed at the same time or while the other dialler is dialing out?
    how have you stopped one lifts dialler interfering with the other out of a single gsm/eircom line?

or are you saying that will never happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Been involved in a similar project,been told that the lift needs to have its own dedicated physical phone line.
    No GSM or shared with broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

cavanman wrote: »
    To save money

I'm sorry, but I think that is the worst excuse to circumvent a critical safety system. What if there was a fire/earthquake/physical assault and your kluged system didn't work! If you think the current system is too costly, think of the consequences of mucking about with it. Renegotiate the cost with your provider and leave well alone.

btw, the reason you should have a fixed (pots) line if that during an electrical blackout you will still have the ability to dial out as power is supplied from the exchange which also has battery backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

It should work, keep at it. Just make sure that all incoming diverts are taken off the SIM Card before you go live.
    Try reversing the pair, use one lift at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

cavanman wrote: »
    I live in an apartment complex with two lifts and I am on the management committee. Each lift has a emergency call system where somebody can hold their finger on a button for five seconds and the system dials an emergency response number. This emergency pulse/tone (not sure which one) system is build into the lift control box and the output is simply a twin wire which connects directly to an eircom line.

While this system works fine it does however cost €500 per year to pay line rental for both lines.

To save money I had our electrician link both lines together into a RJ-11 Network Terminating Unit unit in the lift control room and I purchased a GSM dialler, the idea being that in this way we could save on line rental by placing the calls on the mobile network.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-New-Fixed-Terminal-Cellular-Gateway-GSM-home-security-alarm-system-Dialer-/181090624712?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a29d7a4c8

The GSM dialler has an R-J11 connection port.

I would have expected this to be a very simple task but for some reason the GSM dialler is not connecting the call (not a signal issue). Initially I though the GSM dialler was faulty so I borrowed a desk phone from a friend of mine and when connected to the GSM dialler I had no problem making a call through the desk-phone. The desk-phone is some trendy designer phone.

http://www.jacobjensen.com/index2.php#/int/collection/living/telephones/telephone_3/

This is where it gets a little strange. On the cable to the desk-phone between the RJ-11 plugs is a black box that takes four AA batteries which I assume is a power supply for the LCD on the phone as the LCD display switched off when the batteries were removed. When this black box is placed in series between the lift phone output wires and the GSM dialler the call is connected - it works.

No idea what is happening here.

Would appreciate your thoughts...

Contact the lift servicing company tomorrow and tell them what you want to do.

There is a little bit more to it than is obvious

Advertisement