Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WDYTYA US Series 4

Options
  • 13-01-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

just in case anyone's interested and hasn't already seen these, series 4 of the US Who Do You Think Are ? is starting on BBC1 tonight at 23:35 - sorry for short notice.. also in this series are Kelly Clarkson, Chelsea Handler, Zoey Deschanel, Chris O'Donnell, Cindy Crawford, Trisha Yearwood and Jim Parsons.

As far as I remember no Irish connections show up in this series although you would think Chris should somewhere along the line, but Cindy had English and think Chelsea had German ancestors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

This is one of the best seasons of the US version.

The Kelly Clarkson and Chelsea Handler episodes in particular were very good. If you like military history/genealogy then you'll like this season.

Chris O'Donnell doesn't go back to Ireland. I'd imagine with that common name they couldn't find where his ancestors are from.

If you like those ridiculous 40 generation family tree scrolls then check out the Cindy Crawford episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I've seen some of these. It is a good series even though I prefer the British production which I think is somewhat less hysterical than the American one, if that's the right phrase.

I particularly enjoyed those of Zoey Deschanel and Jim Parsons. I still think the show on Martin Sheen was the best ever from across the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

probably the best Irish link in the US editions was with Rosie O'Donnell, her researchers had a lucky break with a US (or possibly Canadian?) RC marriage record which mention a location near Blessington so was able to work out a parish and find ancestor in registers ad I think in Poor Law Records.

forgot Cindy had a 'gateway' ancestor back to Charlemagne, although the link was a bit tenuous . I've seen the guy that showed her the scroll somewhere before... shows up on history and Royalty programs

There was one other brief Dublin link with Rashida Jones (ser 3?), who checked some Jewish records here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Missed it unfortunately but hope to catch up next week. Always interested, but yes the American programmes can be a bit over the top for me as well but that's just the way they like it I suppose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ahem, you could just install something like Mediahint and watch it on the Iplayer.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭CassieManson

shanew wrote: »
    just in case anyone's interested and hasn't already seen these, series 4 of the US Who Do You Think Are ? is starting on BBC1 tonight at 23:35 - sorry for short notice.. also in this series are Kelly Clarkson, Chelsea Handler, Zoey Deschanel, Chris O'Donnell, Cindy Crawford, Trisha Yearwood and Jim Parsons.

As far as I remember no Irish connections show up in this series although you would think Chris should somewhere along the line, but Cindy had English and think Chelsea had German ancestors
    Watched the Christina Applegate episode last night...so frustrating so many interesting avenues not explored. Now that I have spent so much time on my own family research I notice a lot more stuff on the documents they show having seen the same documents for my own family connections in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

.... I notice a lot more stuff on the documents they show having seen the same documents for my own family connections in the US.

that's part of the fun with these, hit pause and see what you can find out online before they do !.. although a little easier for me anyway with the BBC editions

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Watched the Christina Applegate episode last night...so frustrating so many interesting avenues not explored. Now that I have spent so much time on my own family research I notice a lot more stuff on the documents they show having seen the same documents for my own family connections in the US.

I watched that episode last night and I was a mess watching it. I loved the fact they weren't going back too many lines and you could see how much it meant to her father.

Advertisement