Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA or MCSA?

Options
  • 13-01-2014 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

I don't know which to do, I'm working full time as a field engineer the last 2 years and have done a couple of months of a CCNA course and wasn't mad on it and left to get this job,but I know it's valuable to have.

But my question now is what's better, is MCSA 2012 worth doing? With the mindset of maybe doing MCSE after.

Just don't no where to go from here

Any advice would be nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

What area of IT do you want to get into?

Networking? CCNA.

Sysadmin? MCSA.

Both? Both.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Well this is it I don't no which to go for.. I think I'd prefer the admin side, but is the ccna a better cert to have? And more
    Money from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

It's best to have both. Then if you prefer to do Server work continue on and do the MCSE, if you prefer Networking go for CCNP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

You're unlikely to magically get more money just by having a cert (if that were the case, I'd be a millionaire!) - it has to be relevant to what you're doing or what you want to progress to. A CCNA will only be valued by a company hiring people for network-related work, and an MCSA will only be valued by a company looking for Windows admins. If your current job (or a job you're hoping to get) involves a bit of both, then you'll ideally want both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You're unlikely to magically get more money just by having a cert (if that were the case, I'd be a millionaire!) - it has to be relevant to what you're doing or what you want to progress to. A CCNA will only be valued by a company hiring people for network-related work, and an MCSA will only be valued by a company looking for Windows admins. If your current job (or a job you're hoping to get) involves a bit of both, then you'll ideally want both.

In fairness, there is quite a lot of smaller companies who want a person who can try his hand at everything, from basic questions to network/server admin/setup/design. They tend to look for both certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

Im studying CCNA. This past year the course has changed so it tougher now.
    CCent is now usefull to have so CCNA is now a higher standard.
    I've no experience with MCSA but i dont think it would harm to have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

Thanks for the replies guys.

Hoping to get my MCSA then MCSE, might do Cisco inbetween them, my job are paying for the exams too. I am a field engineer at the minute hoping to climb my way up the ladder a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 10 APJAMES

Etnies wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Hoping to get my MCSA then MCSE, might do Cisco inbetween them, my job are paying for the exams too. I am a field engineer at the minute hoping to climb my way up the ladder a bit

If you tried CCNA, and didnt really enjoy it, and you say think that you'd prefer the Sys admin side, you should go for MCSA. You'll be better at something you enjoy. Depending how that goes either go for MCSE, or try the CCNA again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

MCSA if only required to work with microsoft products
    CCNA if a broader skillset of network communications is required

• Advertisement
Advertisement