Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Addiction

Options
  • 13-01-2014 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Has anyone seen this movie? This has to be the most philosophical movie I have ever seen. It is full with philosophical quotes and ideas. Such as:

"To face what we are in the end, we stand before the light and our true nature is revealed. Self-revelation is annihilation of self."

"We are not sinners because we sin. We sin because we're sinners."

It is a marvellous movie and anyone interested in philosophy should watch it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

ryanciara wrote: »

"We are not sinners because we sin. We sin because we're sinners."

"Sin posits itself' Kierkegaard (Concept of anxiety).

The above idea is very Christian and is related to the doctrine of original sin.i.e. Humans have a fundamental flaw (our reflective self preoccupation) that leads to us overrating ourselves.(pride). Hence the Christian makes humility an important virtue.
    Incidentally, this can be demonstrated empirically by examining surveys and questionnaires, and the average person rates themselves well above average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Thanks for posting this. I am very new to philosophy, only recently I accidentally stumbled upon some introductory philosophy videos has sparked something in me that gave me a thirst for knowledge in general.

I also rented this movie about 15 years ago when i was a kid with some friends and thought it was terrible :D . I completely forgot its existence until i saw this thread, i watched it again this morning and in light of my new found info of philosophy and thought itself, and being much older, and possibly slightly wiser, i found it very interesting, even if i didnt understand it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

Check out Waking Life if you haven't already, also packed full of philosophy. I'll watch this tomorrow thanks for the tip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement