Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord has come in to my room without my knowledge

Options
  • 13-01-2014 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi all

So I live on the property of my workplace, so the house is owned and run by the bosses at work. I found out this week that they have been in to inspect the property (as they told me they would) but they have been taking pictures of 'mess' (clothes/ shoes/hairdryer lying around) and have had board meetings about it. Now I am fairly messy, but the house itself is still in perfect order. Everything works, nothing broken or damaged, no spills, stains or smells. Bills and rent always paid on time and windows/glass intact and spotless. The issue is
    just some clothes / books left lying around on tables/couches and in my room. Apparantly we're in a lot of trouble, which I think is a bit unreasonable. If we'd caused actual damage I'd totally understand but we haven't. The house is perfect, we just leave some stuff lying around, as does everyone in their house I assume? A big issue they had were some books/post left on the kitchen table where I do all my follow-up paperwork. I'm desperate not to get evicted, what should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Clean up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What type of tenancy agreement, if any, do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Afroshack wrote: »
    Hi all

So I live on the property of my workplace, so the house is owned and run by the bosses at work. I found out this week that they have been in to inspect the property (as they told me they would) but they have been taking pictures of 'mess' (clothes/ shoes/hairdryer lying around) and have had board meetings about it. Now I am fairly messy, but the house itself is still in perfect order. Everything works, nothing broken or damaged, no spills, stains or smells. Bills and rent always paid on time and windows/glass intact and spotless. The issue is
    just some clothes / books left lying around on tables/couches and in my room. Apparantly we're in a lot of trouble, which I think is a bit unreasonable. If we'd caused actual damage I'd totally understand but we haven't. The house is perfect, we just leave some stuff lying around, as does everyone in their house I assume? A big issue they had were some books/post left on the kitchen table where I do all my follow-up paperwork. I'm desperate not to get evicted, what should I do?

They should never have entered your home without your permission and without you being notified in advance and being present!

Contact the PRTB and open a complaint about the illegal entry into your home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

galwaytown wrote: »
    Landlord Needs to give at least 24hr notice

Landlord can not enter at all without agreement from the tenant!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I lived in a situation like that. The landlord used to give us 24 hour notice if they were inspecting and rarely went into bedrooms unless we requested them to repair something while they were there.

Can I ask is this a house share? Just while reading your post it made me wonder if your housemates complained about the mess (particularly at the kitchen table rather than complain to you.) I can't really why a landlord would be upset about post/books on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Sorry should have said we were told about the checks and 24hour notice before we even signed contract and it was also written in our contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Midnight Shadow

I have bi-annual checks on my apartment...they give notice. We agree an exact date and time. They are interested on the condition of the place...keeping it clean, everything in working order, etc. Being a bit untidy seems to be a bit over the top for wanting you out.

You have rights

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Is this like a chalet on the grounds of a hotel provided for your accommodation as part of your remuneration package?

What do you mean it's owned and run by your bosses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Miaireland wrote: »
    Sorry should have said we were told about the checks and 24hour notice before we even signed contract and it was also written in our contract.

That clause would be illegal as it takes away from your statutory rights "on a date and time agreed in advance with the tenant". Giving a tenant 24 hours notice is not at a time agreed with the tenant.

Therefore, the landlord is in breach of his obligations by denying the tenant to enjoy peaceful and exclusive occupation of the dwelling".

You should inform the landlord, in writing, keep a dated copy in case it happens again, that he is in breach of his obligations by entering the property without your consent and without agreeing a mutual convenient time.

If the landlord does it again, you may then make a claim with the PRTB for the landlord's breach of obligations, as you have already advised him of that breach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

I don't think tied property such as this comes under the remit of the RTA, or the PRTB. You are there at the grace of your Employer, I would imagine it comes under employment law. Tread carefully Op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

MouseTail wrote: »
    I don't think tied property such as this comes under the remit of the RTA, or the PRTB. You are there at the grace of your Employer, I would imagine it comes under employment law. Tread carefully Op
    I was also of the opinion that where a property was let to someone as part of their business arrangement, it was outside the remit of the PRTB, but a search failed to find where I had come across that.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

It is in our lease that they can inspect the property once they tell us in advance. Before Christmas we got a bunch of emails saying 'we are coming to inspect the property on X date' and they never showed up. This went on for a couple of weeks and they popped in a couple of times during working hours, so I wasn't able to be present, nor did I know what date they actually came in.

Yes I have two roomies, and I know they wouldn't complain. In fairness, all our stuff is around the place, shoes and trainers in the sitting room, books and paperwork in the kitchen etc. We all do it :) Our landlord/boss sent someone in to check the boiler a couple of months ago and apparantly they went to our landlord and reported us. The part about the pictures freaked me out a bit, especially as they have been in our bedrooms where I have bras/underwear lying around

Is this like a chalet on the grounds of a hotel provided for your accommodation as part of your remuneration package?

What do you mean it's owned and run by your bosses?

Heh, it sounds like a brothel or something. It's a property leased to employees on the grounds of the place, similar to how some hospitals have apartments nearby they can lease to staff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The repeated inspection notifications were probably in an effort to get you to tidy up after the initial report from the serviceman.

Yes you are normally entitled to have your own mess, as long as there is no damage or infestations as a result.

Just suck it up, tidy the place up, and ask them to re-inspect it.

do not shi1te where you eat, live and work.;)

The repeated inspection notifications were probably in an effort to get you to tidy up after the initial report from the serviceman.

Yes you are normally entitled to have your own mess, as long as there is no damage or infestations as a result.

Just suck it up, tidy the place up, and ask them to re-inspect it.

do not shi1te where you eat, live and work.;)

Yeah that's what I thought :) There's no damage whatsoever to the house and no infestations, which is why I'm a bit uncomfortable with the need for them to come into my room and take pictures of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,697 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Re the photos: I own a property overseas, which is rented under the usual residential tenancy act provisions. Having photos taken in all rooms is a normal part of the quarterly inspection process, and they provide both parties with valuable evidence if things do wrong.

Re the situation in general: it sounds like part of the deal is that you use part of the property for work. In that case, you should treat that part as like any other professional workspace.

How much rent do you pay? Do you have a lease, or an employment contract which says that accommodation is provided? I think these are all relevant questions in working out whether your rights have actually been breeched or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Mess is one thing, dirt is another. Any trouble you could get in really ought to hinge on that. I'm messy, books, magazines etc all over the place, but clean, not food lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Afroshack wrote: »
    Yeah that's what I thought :) There's no damage whatsoever to the house and no infestations, which is why I'm a bit uncomfortable with the need for them to come into my room and take pictures of the place.

Whatever about inspections/work etc I would be hugely concerned about any landlord/bosses who took pictures of my living quarters without me present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Whatever about inspections/work etc I would be hugely concerned about any landlord/bosses who took pictures of my living quarters without me present.

This is what would get me. If I got a note of inspection (fat chance with my lazy LL, he'd be terrified something needs sorting) I would have no issue with photo's. I use them myself to note things. But were I not home I would go insane. It is a home, and to have someone go in without permission, regardless who owns it, is an invasion of personal space.

Admittedly, tidying up is something the OP should try to get a handle on, but untidy is not dirty. If the OP wants to live in untidiness, so long as there is no damage and the rent is paid, it really is her own business (unless she becomes a hoarder or something).

Advertisement