Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolution Fury 3....Good deal?

Options
  • 13-01-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

As the title says folks, just curious regrading THIS in woodies. Going by prices elsewhere it does not appear to be a bad price for the casual DIY'er?

Or am i missing the trick if any? I have a bit of flooring and skirting to do so might not be a bad investment.

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭peter bermingham

Their not bad but not great with that saw you can only use fuey blades so you want to make sure you can buy the blades handy enough here in Ireland or uk as it spins and a different speed to other chop saws probably slower for the steel cutting to be honest i would stay away from that yoke i really dont believe in them multitasking type tools if you want to cut steel use a grinder or cutoff saw but that just me here have a look here some cheap miter saws http://www.mcquillantools.ie/machinery/mitre-saws.html them Einhell saws dont look to bad maybe someone else can give you more info hope i have helped you
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

So they can only take Fury blades then, thats a bit of a rip! Just looking at the specs online last night and the manual claims a 25.4mm bore and 210mm dia blade. Would any blade with the above spec not fit this or am i missing something obvious here?

Ill check but i am nearly sure the smallest chopsaw blade is 250mm now i might be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

i have 2 dewalt chopsaws, the blades on them have negative rake on the teeth,
    that is they are lying back at about 5 degrees.
    i think i read in the manual it had to do with safety and control of the cut,
    if you start your cut at the fence, it helps stop saw from shooting forward
    dewalt warn because of this not to put normal rip saw blades in the saw

looking at the fury blades they're positive rake like a rip saw blade with an anti kickback feature in front of the tooth.

Just looked at all me blades they range from 190mm 215mm 250mm 450mm and all have a 30mm bore i did read that only fury blades work in them saws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

I picked one up before from bnq for like €100 by going back and forth between woodies and bnq to see who would crack first... bnq beat woodies price and it was also a 10% off weekend.

To be honest the saws are fairly crap. They will do for mediocre work but I had to calibrate mine out of the box and the placement of the allen bolts meant I could just barely get it square (the fence was as far in one direction as it could turn). The blade supplied isnt the greatest, it chips really bad but for rough work it would do.

I had some cheap lidl blades that I could get a 30mm-25.4 reducer to fit which made a slightly better cut.

My fence always had a slight bow in it which makes the wood close on the blade (very dangerous) and evolution said that it was down to wear and tear and I could buy a new fence if I wanted even though it was in warranty.... The thing is cast metal and even bending it in a steel press it still went back to its starting position so not sure how cutting timber could do this.

You may get lucky and it might do what you want it for but I had terrible experience with mine.

**experience: Carpenter for a living**

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Hmm a bit of a dilemma so given the evolution blades etc... you see i will have a fair bit work coming up in the next 12 months, not professionally but in terms of DIY, flooring, skirting and archtrave etc. What would be a suitable alternative given a budget of €150+/-...preferably -!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭rckfld

I am no expert at all but my father completed the fitting of my floors, architraves, skirting, shelves, decking other bits and bobs over the past 12 months with that exact saw. I have been the other guy, holding the wood etc and sweeping up.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

if you can locate one of these http://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/dewalt/6220377,
    i have had the elu and dewalt version, both bombproof, have been thrown around, let out in the rain.
    you can't get the end of them, also one of the lightest chopsaws you'll find.
    put a good blade in it and plenty good enough for skirting and architrave

+1 on one of them saws had one drove over it with the van bit of glue few cable ties and it was sound

• Advertisement
Advertisement