Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Fact about Islam: Today is the Prophet's Birthday

Options
  • 13-01-2014 7:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

In my extreme ignorance, I knew that here in the Middle East today was a national holiday, but what I didn't realise was that today marks the Prophet's birthday.

So there you go, you learn something new every day.

Can anyone tell me if there are there any special activities that are traditionally held on this day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I know there are celebrations in Pakistan, but I am unfamiliar with. Only saw them briefly on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭confusedquark

Some people say extra prayers on the day, whether at home or in the local mosque.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 123 ✭✭///3power

To my knowledge it's not certain when his birthday was. There are a few suggested dates. This isn't by chance either, for you see in Islam we have two holy-days that are celebrated, anything after that is innovation which is a sin in Islam.

Innovation in a religion destroys it like cancer. Which is why it is prohibited.

So, to ensure people wouldn't celebrate and glorify the prophets birthday (peace and blessings of God be upon him), his true birthday is not known. Thus protecting his followers from falling into that sin of innovating a new religious festival.

There is some cultures though who still celebrate one of his suggested birthdays by buying kids sweets etc. Nothing major, however it's still innovation. If any Muslim did supererogatory acts of worship because it was his supposed birthday, those acts wont be accepted and they should seek forgiveness from Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala.

Advertisement