Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some decent plain (red?) ties

Options
  • 13-01-2014 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    Looking for somewhere that I can get two or three plain bright red ties? They'd be worn in work (IT), on a black shirt. Also possibly a striking plain blue tie for a green shirt I have. Don't mind buying online, but not from random ebay shops, more so from shops that people have actually bought from before themselves.

I'm based in Leixlip, so anywhere in Dublin is fine. Have a couple of multi-coloured ones that I wear at weddings/etc, but would would like a few plain ties for work. Decided not white as white doesn't stay clean that long :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I've always found Marks and Spencers good for ties. But I've never needed them too often, so there are probably better places out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

While I may question your colour choices, I will assume they are for your job and you must adhere to the uniform.

I would second that M&S would be good for ties; I got a really nice dark green wool mix tie there recently for €17. You could also check out the last of the Brown Thomas sale ties; some are down to €25 including some really good brands that normally retail up in the 100s.

Thirdly, there's a little shop on Nassau Street called Kevin & Howlin which have lots of wool and knit ties; they have plenty of solid colour ties and they are normally under €20. Slightly different material from your normal silk tie.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

While I may question your colour choices, I will assume they are for your job and you must adhere to the uniform.
    Well, I have a few multicoloured ties, but I wouldn't really wear them, and only wear them at the weddings, etc, so going to go for the plain colour times. I won't wear orange, pink, yellow or purple ties, but am open to other suggestions. The red tie shown on the K&H site to the right doesn't look bad, but not sure if it'd suit a black (short sleeved) shirt?
    I would second that M&S would be good for ties; I got a really nice dark green wool mix tie there recently for €17. You could also check out the last of the Brown Thomas sale ties; some are down to €25 including some really good brands that normally retail up in the 100s.
    May pop in to check them Thursday or Friday.
    Thirdly, there's a little shop on Nassau Street called Kevin & Howlin which have lots of wool and knit ties; they have plenty of solid colour ties and they are normally under €20. Slightly different material from your normal silk tie.
    Probably my first port of call, as my usual "free parking" place is around Merrion Square.

the_syco wrote: »
    Well, I have a few multicoloured ties, but I wouldn't really wear them, and only wear them at the weddings, etc, so going to go for the plain colour times. I won't wear orange, pink, yellow or purple ties, but am open to other suggestions. The red tie shown on the K&H site to the right doesn't look bad, but not sure if it'd suit a black (short sleeved) shirt?

May pop in to check them Thursday or Friday.

Probably my first port of call, as my usual "free parking" place is around Merrion Square.

That tie on the right is really more of a burnt orange than a red, and I would recommend getting it. I have a few a ties from there, and they are great. In fact, I have something very similar to that burnt orange one:

tumblr_mz6xtxgx1z1tpz4vfo1_500.jpg

I'm going to assume the black shirt is a requirement for your job, as otherwise there is no way in hell you should ever wear a black shirt as part of an office / job outfit. Unless you are working for Peter Mark or something. Especially teamed with a red tie.

Can you confirm this point first, and then I might be able to give you some pointers as to what kinds of ties to wear? If it is a requirement to wear black, well, its out of my range really to give advice here; a red tie would be fine I guess. However, if you have other options available to you, then white / light blue shirts are really your best starting point. Always wear a tie that's a darker shade than your shirt (there's a very small number of occasions where you can bend this rule, but only very small).

[SNIP] Again, let me know what the shirt situation is and I can give you more helpful pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

eviltimeban, I've removed the link to your blog. You have a link in the blogs thread and you can put a link in your sig but we don't allow people to promote their blogs outside of those options. Thanks.

• Advertisement

No problem, sorry didn't realise, I'll PM syco the link.

Advertisement