Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ms Tie

Options
  • 13-01-2014 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey all!

I'm moving to Christchurch in New Zealand in June/July this year (2014).
    I am a 26 year old female, moving over alone. I don't have any friends or know of anyone in New Zealand so, i'm looking for some guidance on areas that are safe, close to public transport and close to shops, bars etc. I know this is a wish list, but any sound advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 canadian exile

Hi op you are best off looking for somewhere around saint Albans, merivale, papanui, bishopdale or ilam.
    Stay away from aranui, new Brighton and linwood. Trademe.co.nz is your best bet when looking for a place. Going rate is about $150 p/w and most places will be unfurnished. Don't worry about coming on your own people are friendly and there is a large Irish community in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just like in Ireland, find yourself a job before you find somewhere to live. Stay in a backpackers or similar in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TheGreenOne

Hi Miss Tie,

I am 25 and I did the same thing as you in March (2013) last year. Everyone thought I was mad to go alone. However I found the kiwis very welcoming and they do enjoy a drink or 2. :P

To answer some of your questions, most places on the West of the city are good for looking for a place.I recommend http://www.easyroommate.co.nz or trade me to search for somewhere to live.
    Personally I find the public transport here quite good as I have been using it for the last year :P
    As long as you are living in the city you are not too far from any shops, shopping malls, bars, etc. However the central city is slowly starting to come to life with new bars opening up :) By the way I do not recommend drinking in the Craic in Riccarton.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me :)

Advertisement