Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minecraft Lets play

Options
  • 13-01-2014 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hey there lads and lassies I've started my youtube channel with a Minecraft playthrough you guys should check it out and maybe even subscribe going to be putting up a tekkit playthrough as well as more minecraft and other games too!
    Also constructive criticism is wanted!!:)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tIGu6fe2GI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm about 60 seconds in and I can't watch anymore, I'm sorry. But your volume is just waaayyy too loud, turn down your game sounds quite a lot ;) Also, Whatever it is you have enabled that gives the red circle when you click, very distracting.

From the start of it, you seem to be a bit scattered, spend some time before you record preparing (Know what your plan is for the episode and what you are doing), doing your intro a few times etc. to get comfortable. Also, when you are playing on your own, or off camera, still talk yourself through everything outloud to get yourself used to it.

Best of luck with it! :)

Edit: Kinda skimmed through watching a few minutes at the time, don't forget you are able (and are supposed to) edit. It allows you to get rid of boring parts, and keep your viewers interested. You don't need to push straight for a 30 minute long video like you find with most large youtubers, record a 30min/hour of footage, and cut that down to 15-20 minutes of interesting footage to start.

Always remember its Quality over Quantity.

Also, take notes of important coords (write them down) like your house, so you don't end up losing your house because you die and have to go back to doing what your viewers saw you doing in the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

The Snipe wrote: »
    I'm about 60 seconds in and I can't watch anymore, I'm sorry. But your volume is just waaayyy too loud, turn down your game sounds quite a lot ;) Also, Whatever it is you have enabled that gives the red circle when you click, very distracting.

From the start of it, you seem to be a bit scattered, spend some time before you record preparing (Know what your plan is for the episode and what you are doing), doing your intro a few times etc. to get comfortable. Also, when you are playing on your own, or off camera, still talk yourself through everything outloud to get yourself used to it.

Best of luck with it! :)

Edit: Kinda skimmed through watching a few minutes at the time, don't forget you are able (and are supposed to) edit. It allows you to get rid of boring parts, and keep your viewers interested. You don't need to push straight for a 30 minute long video like you find with most large youtubers, record a 30min/hour of footage, and cut that down to 15-20 minutes of interesting footage to start.

Always remember its Quality over Quantity.

Also, take notes of important coords (write them down) like your house, so you don't end up losing your house because you die and have to go back to doing what your viewers saw you doing in the first episode.
    Cheers I find it a bit weir to be talking about what's going on and trying to be entertaining but I'm working on it and thanks for the suggestion with the editing I'll start to do that!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What are you using to screen capture?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Fraps and OBS are the most common usually.

OBS:
    http://obsproject.com/

Fraps:
    http://www.fraps.com/

What are you using to screen capture?
    Bandicam!

• Advertisement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj3WBUhcwnI

Changed the volume elvels lowered the sound not as scattered (IMO)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

Like as said above the in game audio is a tad too loud, maybe lower that a bit, the commentary is good, that will improve with time.
    I'd advise when you're starting out maybe cut video down to between 10-15 min as long videos can be a bit off putting, when you gain a bit of an audience than look into making longer videos.
    add channel art to your channel page, it doesn't have to be particularly good just not blank.

Also on facebook join https://www.facebook.com/groups/102321109868999 its a group for Irish youtubers, there are a few people from gaming channels who could give you advice and get you on the right track, plus its good to open lines of communication with other youtubers

=)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

oops just noticed your latest post, you must of posted it while i was righting mine lol,
    IMO I'd still say the in game audio is still too loud, there are points were its hard to make out what your saying like when you killing mobs or when the music is playing,
    In game audio should be minimal for game like minecraft where there is no dialogue.

oops just noticed your latest post, you must of posted it while i was righting mine lol,
    IMO I'd still say the in game audio is still too loud, there are points were its hard to make out what your saying like when you killing mobs or when the music is playing,
    In game audio should be minimal for game like minecraft where there is no dialogue.
    Ok sweet thanks for the nice feedback lads!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Just watching the third episode now. It's pretty good, you speak well which helps a lot, but I agree with whoever mention editting. There's not much point in showing the very earliest parts of the game, it's usually the same for everyone. The best bits to show are when you are building something cool or already have it done.

It's also cool to get other players on the map with you if that's possible!

• Advertisement
Advertisement