Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving my Cat.it is breaking my heart .....don't know what to do

Options
  • 13-01-2014 12:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hello

I am here looking for some friendly advice. I have the most beautiful rescue cat, have him four years in March. I rescued him from awful circumstance, that would not be too nice to go into here...but bit by bit he became a very confident, calm and assured cat. Everyone loves Milo. My neighbours love him...

I have just been given a full time job in Dublin...I can't take Milo with me...as I will be going into shared accommodation...My neighbours, <snip> feed milo when I am away ( I have been working on and off in Dublin over the last year). He goes in their cat flap and sleeps there when I am not at home...OK here is my quandary:

I have a friend who is looking for an older cat, but has just had a baby and I am not sure if he will take to having a screaming baby - I know that he spooks very easily. But she is a huge cat lover and I know she will be good to him...on the other hand...<snip> my neighbours said they would adopt him if I every left...but I am worried Milo will pine after me and sit waiting at the doorstep waiting for me to return....would this be fair to him...?

Please if you have any advice I would be so appreciative and sorry that this is a long winded post...I am sure I could say it in three lines but once I start typing about things like this I feel I have to paint the whole picture....

Much appreciation for any advice

Nicola

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭timmy4u2

A cats best friend is the person who constantly feeds him. He will be with people he knows and have fed him. He will not pine. Will you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭nikinova

timmy4u2 wrote: »
    A cats best friend is the person who constantly feeds him. He will be with people he knows and have fed him. He will not pine. Will you?

I will :( love this wee man so much - do you think it is a good idea to keep him in my neighbourhood then?

Thanks for the reply!

nikinova wrote: »
    I will :( love this wee man so much - do you think it is a good idea to keep him in my neighbourhood then?

Thanks for the reply!
    Iwould imagin that it is far far better to leave him on familiar territory with familiar people who know his feeding habits

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The least stressful option for Milo (he is so lovely in that pic, btw!!) would be for him to move in with the neighbours. He'll be in familiar territory with people he already knows, and not having to put up with a screaming baby.

Its a hard thing to leave him, but it sounds like he will be well looked after there.

He'll adapt pretty quickly, don't worry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As everyone else have said; leave him with the neighbours as it's someone he knows and in an area he's used to. Yes he may sit at your door a few days at the start but as he's already adopted your neighbour when you're not there it's not going to be a huge change for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor you, so VERY hard to leave him behind, especially when you have taken him so far. He will be FINE at your neighbours. He knows them. They know him. He knows his territory. If they are happy to have him, it sounds like a brilliant solution. You are lucky to have two options to rehome him, but I think he will be happier with the neighbours and staying where he knows and is safe. It will be harder for you to leave him, he will be happy 'at home'. Plan on going back to visit him in a couple months time, then you will have something to look forward to. Good luck with your new job.

Thank you so much for the replies everyone, all your advice really helped me make the decision. My wonderful neighbours <snip> have agreed to adopt him and I have let the other girl know (the lady with the baby) so thank you everyone!!!

Thank you so much for your advice :)

Thanks for the reply!
    timmy4u2 wrote: »
    Iwould imagin that it is far far better to leave him on familiar territory with familiar people who know his feeding habits

Thanks so much for your reply and kind advice
    MsFifers wrote: »
    The least stressful option for Milo (he is so lovely in that pic, btw!!) would be for him to move in with the neighbours. He'll be in familiar territory with people he already knows, and not having to put up with a screaming baby.

Its a hard thing to leave him, but it sounds like he will be well looked after there.

He'll adapt pretty quickly, don't worry.

Thanks for your lovely reply and advice :)
    aonb wrote: »
    Poor you, so VERY hard to leave him behind, especially when you have taken him so far. He will be FINE at your neighbours. He knows them. They know him. He knows his territory. If they are happy to have him, it sounds like a brilliant solution. You are lucky to have two options to rehome him, but I think he will be happier with the neighbours and staying where he knows and is safe. It will be harder for you to leave him, he will be happy 'at home'. Plan on going back to visit him in a couple months time, then you will have something to look forward to. Good luck with your new job.

Thank you so much for your really lovely advice, much appreciated! :)

Nody wrote: »
    As everyone else have said; leave him with the neighbours as it's someone he knows and in an area he's used to. Yes he may sit at your door a few days at the start but as he's already adopted your neighbour when you're not there it's not going to be a huge change for him.

Thanks for your kind reply and advice :)

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for your reply and kind advice

Thanks for your lovely reply and advice :)

Thank you so much for your really lovely advice, much appreciated! :)
    No problem. Glad to be of some help.
    Two years ago a cousin of mine flew a cat home from Australia where she had worked for six years.
    She wouldn't tell me what it cost but I had to collect it from the Veterinary section in Swords and their half hour part of the process cost €230.00.
    The cat had no problem settling in to its new surroundings.

Advertisement