Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stressed To The max with biology.

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey
    I really need tips on biology, i spend hours studying and it may as well be a waste of time. We have revision classes every monday and i have failed 75%of them. Its really fustrating and at the moment i dont have the will to study.
    Im doing HL and cant afford to drop as im doing 5 OL. I need a C3 in it.
    Any advice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Read a chapter,go to papers and use your book,after a while questions repeat themselves and learn from your mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭niallharty

Photosynthesis is a must to know comes up every year. As is Respiration and Genetics.
    Besides that learn the experiments as well as you possibly can. If you have the green edco book it comes with a DVD that you can watch all the experiments on it.
    Just knowing that you could pass but you'll have to do some other important chapters to get a C. Ecology is also very important. DNA links in with genetics so cover that too. If you have any time left over just cover what you like most before the pres

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As niallharty said, there are a couple of definites. Outside that, break the information down into small manageable pieces. Much easier to feel you're getting somewhere with small chunks than a huge block of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 picador

Go through a chapter, then make notes on the chapter, then go through the papers and do all the OL questions on that chapter and the do the HL ones. With biology there are generally 2 problems, either that you can't remember the stuff or that you can't understand it. If you can't remember things like parts of the cell or functions of the brain, make notes and notes and more notes until you can't look at them anymore. Make diagrams and mind maps and anything to help you remember, and then quiz yourself, or get someone else to quiz you. If you don't understand something, try and find other sources like youtube videos or revision books that might give you a different view. I also found that looking up 'Photosynthesis for kids' and stuff like that was really helpful, because it gave me a really basic understanding, and then I built up from there. If you're looking for notes, I'm selling all the mindmaps I made last year for Biology. Let me know if you're interested, and good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Dump your textbook in the bin*. Go out and buy Essentials Unfolded by Celtic Press and start learning from that. The textbook contains too much information for what is required at LC level. Do lots of exam papers.

*Don't really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Papers Papers Papers is the key to biology

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Dump your textbook in the bin*. Go out and buy Essentials Unfolded by Celtic Press and start learning from that. The textbook contains too much information for what is required at LC level. Do lots of exam papers.

*Don't really.

I agree with you, we have not once used our textbook in class since the start of fifth year. We were given a little booklet which covers absolutely everything on the course, it's extremely handy as everything is there and it's easy enough to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Keep doing past papers, as mentioned above photosynthesis respiration and food comes up a lot too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭RoadWars2013

Do they change the questions asked much or are they quite repetitive

Advertisement