Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

found a dog

Options
  • 12-01-2014 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

hey guys and gals i found a dog today. it seems like some sort of terrior. maybe a sh1tsu. im not entirely sure what breed(maybe mixed maybe not) a pic will be attached). she is grey and white and she is very fluffy with a fringe kinda covering her eyes.

we where at a petrol station and there was a lady inside minding this little dog. the dog seemed lost and scared. the lady couldnt take her home as she didnt have space. the person working in the shop also couldnt take her home. the shop guy told us he rang LAW but they are at full capacity for a couple of more days at least so me and the girlfriend decided we could mind her for a couple of days.

she seems like a pet that just got out or got of her lead and collar or else she just got out of someones garden. we have taken her in and she is perfectly safe. she has food, water and a dry place to sleep. we will hold on to her as long as we have to. we have been in touch with LAW(well someone has been in touch with them before we took her in).

we cant keep her as we have a 9 year old labrador who is insecure as it is so it wouldnt be fair on him:) we want to reunite this little lady with her actual owners but eventually a good home will have to do.

we have posted on our own facebook pages and friends have shared, LAW facebook page, Madra.ie, Lostandfounddogs.ie. if you see this on facebook could you please share in case you know someone indirectly that might be missing her. the quicker she gets home to her real owners the better. im sure they are worried about her. tommorrow i will knock on doors and see if i can find the owner in the locallity but i havent seen her before so i think she isnt local to my street.

any info please share.

lets get her home

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152592973654988&set=o.212914858726221&type=1&theater

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Take her to the vets in the morning to check for a microchip, you might get lucky. Best of luck finding the owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

yea im going to check the vet in the morning also. there is one around the corner from me so trying there they could put up a poster or something also. ill ask about the micro chip. i never even thought of that. any idea if they will charge to check? i just hope we find her owner. id hate it if we lost our dog

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

Paulegend wrote: »
    yea im going to check the vet in the morning also. there is one around the corner from me so trying there they could put up a poster or something also. ill ask about the micro chip. i never even thought of that. any idea if they will charge to check? i just hope we find her owner. id hate it if we lost our dog

well fair dues to you for looking out for the little one hope she gets home soon

Its free to check, they should do it no probs for you. Might be worth ringing other vets if no joy with microchip, they might know the dog.

so update - the vet reckons she is about 2 years old and she is micro chipped. BUT not registered on a database so the microchip is pointless

• Advertisement

thats tough. Have you posted her details on the following face book pages?

City vet Donal Ryan
    Treaty Veterinary Clinic
    Mid west Veterinary clinic

might be worth a try - I know if I lost my dog I'd try ringing round the vets.

Might be worth a phone call to the pound to let them know that you have found her in case anyone rang there to report her, but please don't surrender her to the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭moby2101

As another poster has already said, fair play to you for taking her home.
    My wife and I (...mostly wife!) have taken in 6 or more dogs in like this and each time we've managed to find the owners.
    A quick phone call to vets in the area or city genrally to see if anyone has reported a missing dog is a good bet.
    We had an alsatian for a week or more, absolutely beautiful dog, it had been missing for over 6 months...got spooked by Halloween nonsense and went on the run..we found the owner thru a vet in city.
    If someone is looking for the lttle pet they will probably phone all vets to enquire.
    Best of luck, and again fair play to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,955 ✭✭✭jimf

maybe a call to 95fm they would highlight it on local radio for you im sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Also, email a pic and the details to Caitríona in the Limerick Post for the lost and found section on the pets page:

pets@limerickpost.ie

Think the deadline to be included in this week's edition is tomorrow morning.

thanks for all the ideas everyone. youve been a big help. i have posted the link on more vet facebook pages now and the limerick 95 page. ive also emailed the post spin south west and the limerick leader.

she will not be going to the pound. that is a promise. if i eventually cant find her family then either the limerick animal welfare or myself will find her a home that will love her and have time for her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Paulegend, good work

I found a dog a while back, took him home and fed him etc. Called local cop shop and the owner collected him within four hours, so that may be worth a try.

i didnt even think of that. thats a great idea im going to ring henry street now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭Hooked

Fair dues to you OP!

It fûcking maddens me the amount of non-tagged, non-chipped - or chipped but not saved to database - dogs that are found locally and nationally. LAW are bursting at the seams at present.

Shocking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Something desperately needs to be done to combat the amount of dogs that go abandoned at the start of the year and throughout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Any update?

So the advert is in the paper and I've gotten a few calls inquiring about the dog. unfortunately this little ones owner hasn't come forward yet. I will give it until the middle of next week and then i may have to re-home her. Limerick Animal Welfare haven't answered their phones to me on several occasions (probably busy.............) and they haven't responded to my email. We had someone talking to them the night we got her so its not like they don't know about it. I'm guessing they are thinking that she is being taken care of so they leaving it all to me. Little peeved about it but them the breaks. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Hopefully she will get a happy ever after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They're having a problem with the landline at the moment after the winter storms, but the mobile is still on the go, 087 6371044. They get swamped with calls though. Thanks for holding on to this little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Was dog found anywhere near Nicholas St, I know someone who owns a dog that looks just like her

boomerang wrote: »
    They're having a problem with the landline at the moment after the winter storms, but the mobile is still on the go, 087 6371044. They get swamped with calls though. Thanks for holding on to this little one.

yea i seen that number too. left a message asking for them to call me back but that was monday. its ok i can mind the little one for now anyway. at least our own guy has a bit of company even if she is stealing his toys :D
    campo wrote: »
    Was dog found anywhere near Nicholas St, I know someone who owns a dog that looks just like her

is the person missing their dog? if so could you get them in touch with me or pm me with details about the dog such as their name etc. if you have any other pics of the dog or any other way of proving ownership at all and i will drop the little one to the door myself if need be. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

yea i seen that number too. left a message asking for them to call me back but that was monday. its ok i can mind the little one for now anyway. at least our own guy has a bit of company even if she is stealing his toys :D

is the person missing their dog? if so could you get them in touch with me or pm me with details about the dog such as their name etc. if you have any other pics of the dog or any other way of proving ownership at all and i will drop the little one to the door myself if need be. thanks

Ill ask tomorrow, I have not heard if the dog is missing but rarely speak to this person

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Try putting an ad (free) on this website: http://www.lostandfoundpets.ie/

A dog wandered into my place two years ago. I put up a post there and the owner saw it after 2 days - happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

any update on the dog op?

so we haved tried just about everything to find the owner. we had a few inquiries but nothing concrete.

im thinking that the dog was micro chipped but the micro chip wasnt registered. its possible the dog was micro chipped at some sort of puppy farm before it was sold. with they idea that the new owner would register the chip but then the person didnt keep the dog after christmas.

we are going to give it another couple of days but we are thinking about keeping the dog ourselves. so the weekend we are going to get it properly groomed and cleaned up.

if in the mean time the actual owner comes forward and they have anything at all to prove ownership then of course they can have them back but our own dog is starting to warm up to having a bit of company

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

we are going to give it another couple of days but we are thinking about keeping the dog ourselves. so the weekend we are going to get it properly groomed and cleaned up.

Do I sense a bit of bonding has taken place? :)

Whatever happens, I hope the little lady ends up happy in a nice home.

Good on you for taking the time & trouble to care for her.

ah the girlfriend is very much bonding and i cant help falling for the little one a bit myself. we are very much dog people anyway so i guess it was bound to happen. when our own dog started to not feel excluded then us adopting the dog became a solution. i know a lot of people that would have done the same thing but for having babies in the house or not having the space etc. we where just lucky enough to have the room . either way i think the two dogs will be happy. its nice that theyll have each other as company too.

Advertisement