Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your Bikram Yoga Experience

Options
  • 12-01-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭

Opening this tread to allow free discussion on Bikram Yoga and its open to anything related to Bikram Yoga. I really wouldn't like anyone who doesn't already incorporate some level of exercise into the daily routine to be put off by the supposed risks in the other treads.

No links just your personal experience or for questions to others who do practice.

I have no ties to or personal gain related to the studio I practice at. I have being attending Harolds cross for over two years and have attend two other studios in Paris. Most other styles have an issue with Bikram due to the owner’s claims and because Bikram is a real treat to their business. Bikram is one of the few areas in the fitness and leisure sector that's being growing over the last few years.

Does it suit everyone? No but what does.

My Experience:
    In general very positive and just wish I had started it years ago.
    Helped me greatly with my mobility and helped heal knee injuries much faster than surgeons expected.
    Seen countless people of all ages, body types and levels of fitness enjoy and benefit from the class.

Negatives:
    Sometimes the class can be busy during peak times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

I started doing bikram yoga in Harold's Cross and despite the often packed classes I loved it. Yeah sure the place could do with a face-lift but the grottiness never affected my practice. Have to bear in mind it was the first bikram studio in Ireland, it's been there the longest & had so much use it is bound to be a bit run down!

I moved to the Sandyford studio once that opened and had a regular practice there for almost 3 years, absolutely loved it. It never felt as packed as the Harold's Cross studio and being newer it was much brighter & cleaner. Most of the instructors were great, critiquing (& sometimes praising!) in each class so I felt I was making real progress. Got to know the other regulars & loved the feeling of community, it was great to see some classmates head off to do their own teacher training and hear about their experiences.

I have practiced bikram yoga in India and Bali also, India was a great experience, Bikram Choudhery's niece owns the studio I attended and it was brand new so it smelled great haha! Being in a hotter climate the heat in class felt way more intense than usual.

The studio in Bali was brand new too, but the teacher had a heavy accent (French I think) and babbled very fast through the class, the beginners were totally flummoxed. Only because I know the dialogue so well I ploughed on myself, but he was incoherent. He also put on cool ceiling fans for a portion of class as the heat was so unbearable.

I am not near a bikram studio at all now, so I am not practicing these days & miss it terribly :(
    Found it wonderful in so many ways, clears the head so I wasn't coming home stressed from work, boosted my immune system, cleared up hayfever, you name it. One day I'll have a regular practice again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭bonzo_k

Hey, does Bikram yoga promote self practice in anyway ?

Self practice is extremely important in the study of yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭LadyBetty

Not exactly, I mean you can do the postures at home but good luck trying to recreate the 40 degree heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 FiveSive

I have been attending the Bikram yoga Cork studio for almost 2 years now. I go minimum 3 times a week but sometimes 4 or 5 times. I found it so challenging at first and I thought I would get bored of the 26 postures fairly soon but I'm still going now, I think it does become a way of life and you get so addicted to it that I don't think I'll ever stop going.

I have mainly only positive things to say, im definitely way fitter.. I wasn't at all fit when I started and would struggle to run even half a km.. after about 4/5 months of yoga, I went for my first run and ran 5km without stopping. This to me was a massive feat!!!! I definitely fell better as well, my posture is better, I am more toned, my skin looks better and I sleep very well.

The only negative things for me is I thought it would help with weight loss, I really should be 1 dress size smaller and I don't think I ever will be. I find I am so hungry when I leave yoga, that there is no way I will ever lose weight as I eat way more than I ever did before cancelling out all my good work. It definitely increases your appetite.
    I also find it very time consuming, you would nearly have to give about 2 and a half hours every evening with getting there early to make sure you get a spot and showering after wards.
    The only other thing I find tough is I don't seem to be getting much better at the postures.. I see people still coming in on their first class and they are already better than me, so it is a very very slow process for me which isn't very inspiring. I thought after a few months I would see a big improvement but 2 years in and im not much better than my first class :o

I think it is amazing for your mental health, you do actually leave in a very good mood, this is definitely my main reason for going now..i go straight from work feeling slightly stressed/tired.. usually in no mood at all for yoga.. and then 90 minutes later I feel on top of the world!

I would really recommend the cork studio to any beginner, the teachers are amazing, very friendly and approachable, and there is a very nice non judgemental atmosphere there. All ages and all sizes and all stages of fitness go, you can be a complete yoga beginner and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My experience is that from the day I first walked in I loved the heat. Before I even started on the posture I had a feeling that this might be the yoga for me - I have very bad circulation and can be cold a lot of the time.

I also have extremely bad flexibility. After 2 years of Bikram I was finally able to touch my toes having never been able to do this in my life previously.

It does take a big commitment. I leave work at 5.30 for a 6.30 class and get home at 9pm that evening. But it is so worth it. I find it helps with my stress levels in work and my general well being day to day.

I am currently practising in Drury Street which has friendly staff but a tiny dressing room (seriously I have never seen so many naked sweaty bodies packed in to such a small space). I have also practised in Dublin 15 and Harolds Cross Studio. Many of the teachers teach in all of the Dublin Studios.

It is definitely worth trying and most studios offer a special offer of a months unlimited practise for a special price to first time visitors.

It is a life long practise with small improvements happening along the way (for me anyway!).

It is costly - 100 euro a month but if you go more than 4 times a week the price is easily justifiable!

• Advertisement
Advertisement