Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Stephen's Green Luas Stop

Options
  • 12-01-2014 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭

I use the Luas daily and my return journey finishes at St. Stephens Green. Why isn't the silver/chrome barrier back further? It's an absolute nightmare to get off the tram at rush hour. There is so much space on the footpath that could be used to extend the platform and make getting on & off the tram quicker.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Totally agree, the stop is very badly laid out. I know it will change when the green line is extended but they should be making changes in the interim. For starters they should look at putting ticket machines off the platform and some more tag on terminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

It's a terminus at the moment but not suitable for it. Will be fine when it's just a normal stop but can't see anything happening before the extension opens.

Personally I go down the far end to get on at peak times, can't understand why more people don't do it as you avoid the hordes getting off who inevitably are heading towards grafton street area

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sitec wrote: »
    Why isn't the silver/chrome barrier back further?
    Do you mean the stainless steel railings between the platform and the footpath?

They are there to maintain the footpath clear of waiting passengers.

The footpath is owned by the OPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

AFAIK it's down to a territorial fight between OPW (who own Stephens Green and the footpaths around it) and RPA (who built the Luas). OPW didn't want to give any footpath over to the Luas but conceded the little bit we have today. It's the same reason that some of the bus stop poles on the North side of the Green are on the road instead of the footpath.

It would have been much better if access to the RCSI car park had been closed and the platform could have been further away from the footpath or even built as a Spanish platform layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

grimbergen wrote: »
    It's a terminus at the moment but not suitable for it. Will be fine when it's just a normal stop but can't see anything happening before the extension opens.
    It will always be a terminus? I thought that Cross City and Green Line are separate lines, passenegers will still have to change trams.

EDIT: Had a look at their website, and it will continue from the existing line. Aces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

No, it's an extention of the Green line. Trams from the southside will continue through SSG and down Dawson Street towards Broombridge. All one line, no transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

God yes this used to be a pain when I was getting the Luas daily. Especially when trying to tag off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Didn't they widen the platforms after the luas opened?
    But left the display pillar and ticket machines in the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The main problem is passengers waiting to get on not leaving enough space for the people to get off. They have no patience whatsoever and the Luas is usually sitting there for about five minutes waiting to leave anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

To be fair, that is not restricted to the Luas, it happens on the DART as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

devnull wrote: »
    To be fair, that is not restricted to the Luas, it happens on the DART as well.

But at Stephen's Green it's completely pointless given that the Luas is usually waiting for five minutes anyway. Maybe this is the case on some DART stops (I don't usually get the DART) but it doesn't make it any less infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It's caused by eveyone rushing to get a seat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Almost three years later and this craic is still going ahead - shows you how little will there is at corporate or political level to, well you know, do something far out and wacky, like provide a better service to passengers.

It's still an absolute nightmare getting off the Luas at SSG at peak times...a daily cattle pen and we just shrug our shoulders and put up with it day after day. Not me I am ranting about it on boards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd say the opening of the cross-city Luas will improve things at SSG as it will no longer be a terminus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

As a red line user, I'd love if this was the only problem. You think you have it bad now? Wait until the lines link up. OH JESUS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

markpb wrote: »
    AFAIK it's down to a territorial fight between OPW (who own Stephens Green and the footpaths around it) and RPA (who built the Luas). OPW didn't want to give any footpath over to the Luas but conceded the little bit we have today. It's the same reason that some of the bus stop poles on the North side of the Green are on the road instead of the footpath.

It would have been much better if access to the RCSI car park had been closed and the platform could have been further away from the footpath or even built as a Spanish platform layout.

Shows what a farce of a state we have with one arm of the govt fighting another arm of the same government

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I suspect that services on the Green Line will deteriorate once the Cross City link opens - potential for collisions with road vehicles greatly increased and detritus from O'Connell Street making it's way onto the trams. That's just negative old me but remember where you heard it first.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

As stated, Stephens Green will have much less exits and entries than it does right now, since a large number of people getting off at Stephens Green will now get off further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I suspect that services on the Green Line will deteriorate once the Cross City link opens - potential for collisions with road vehicles greatly increased and detritus from O'Connell Street making it's way onto the trams. That's just negative old me but remember where you heard it first.

No worry, SSG will remain a turnback point, with an additional siding on SSG North.

If the line is blocked North of SSG, but south of Parnell, then trams will just run short to SSG.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

markpb wrote: »
    It's the same reason that some of the bus stop poles on the North side of the Green are on the road instead of the footpath.
    a chap i know emailed dublin bus to ask about this, and got the reply that the design was to prevent drivers clipping wing mirrors off the poles.
    i'm not suggesting i'm taking that as gospel, btw.

anyway, i think there is a valid reason to keep the platform and footpath around the green separate, but the balance should be reversed; the footpath is noticeably wider than the platform, and it's not as if the platform on the other side (the RCSI side) is butt up against a major thoroughfare.

while the BXD completion will take some load off the stop, it's still going to be a damn busy one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Shows what a farce of a state we have with one arm of the govt fighting another arm of the same government
    St. Stephen's Green is a national monument as far as the kerb line, nothing wither agency can do, only the Oireachtas, which did add some permissions in respect of building the underground station.

Advertisement