Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think it's to late?

Options
  • 12-01-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

I'm in sixth year and I haven't done much study at all yet, to be honest. I've only done the basics. Do you think it's to late to start now? I'm really nervous now and regret leaving it so long..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 boogenhagen

No way is it too late at all yet, how many points do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

No way is it too late at all yet, how many points do you need?

I need ~400, give or take a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 boogenhagen

Try and start off with an hour a night for the next 2 weeks and then do a bit more, theres plenty of revision courses on for different subjects around easter and may along with courses online and I'm sure they'd help a lot, I've made a study log on this and found it helps me a lot to write down what I need to do, maybe it would help you too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

Shane15 wrote: »
    I need ~400, give or take a few.

If you work consistently every day, manage your time for each subject wisely, and make up for study days you lose, it's entirely possible to get in the region of 400-500 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Try and start off with an hour a night for the next 2 weeks and then do a bit more, theres plenty of revision courses on for different subjects around easter and may along with courses online and I'm sure they'd help a lot, I've made a study log on this and found it helps me a lot to write down what I need to do, maybe it would help you too ?

An hour a night? At this late stage you should start with at least 2.5 hours. You are up against people putting in hours a day since September. It is a points race. No reason not to do the same if you are starting in January.

Find the course you want. It should motivate you. It has done for me. I dont want to repeat to do it. So it really is now or never next year again. Which is scary and highly motivating.

Also leave your phone outside your study room. If your school has supervised study Id suggest signing up for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It's not too late - if you leave it any longer, it will be!
    I agree with the idea of starting with an hour or so per night though, because you sound quite stressed and intimidated - ease yourself in over the next week or so, and get organised towards building up to more blocks of study per night.
    Supervised study at school is an excellent way to get your written homework done so that you can focus on study once you get home.
    Focus on your own study, don't take any notice of what hours others are putting in and forget the 'points race', just reach for your highest potential.
    Good luck and keep motivated!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Shane15

Thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

It's never too late to improve your situation (well, until the exams are over!)

The longer you leave it though the less potential there is for you to make significant improvements.

So get your finger out and start now! :)

And remember that, just as in the exam itself, quality is more important than quantity.

An hour isn't a lot, it's true, especially if you need to catch up, and you should be working up towards more ... but at the same time an hour's *focused* study with your concentration totally on what you're doing will be worth more to you than 3 hours sitting staring glassy-eyed at the books with your mind all over the place.

Advertisement