Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to study for English Paper 2?(HL)

Options
  • 12-01-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello! I was wondering if I could get a few tips on how to actually study for Macbeth and the comparative question, I seem to be ok with learning for poetry but it's these 2 that I don't know how to approach.

I was thinking of making out a set of notes and having say key scenes, the characters in them, and a few important quotes or themes that are evident in that scene, does anyone else have any other advice please? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Maybe try and make mind maps, one for each theme in Macbeth and each issue/topic for the comparative study and work your way from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 EliteC

Ditto what Calvin said, focus less on each scene and more on the main themes and characters.
    DO mindmaps for
    Themes: Kingship, Love, Guilt/Isoation, Power, Ambition,
    Characters: Macbeth, Lady Macbeth, Banquo, Macduff
    Misc: Symbols, Nature, Imagery, Visions, Tragedy

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

Thanks very much for suggestions! I might make out a few mind maps so for the characters and themes to go with them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Mindmaps are good but they were never for me at all.
    Instead I took an essay, for example Kingship, and then planned the essay.
    So I always said that an essay should have 8 paragraphs including the introduction and conclusion. Then I wrote what I would include in each paragraph of this essay including quotes, key scene etc and then I learned off my plans. This approach is only useful when you have mastered essay writing however. There is no point knowing all the content if your phrasing and mechanics are poor for example.

With the comparative, our class made a table for CC and theme. With each subpoint, you wrote about each text in a box of the table. Key scenes were included so it was easy to see the similarities/differences between texts when they were lined up side by side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try out the mind maps and small plans and see what way they work for the mocks! :D

Advertisement