Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public patients- how often have you seen your consultant?

Options
  • 12-01-2014 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I'm 34 weeks and attending limerick maternity. So far I've had 4 clinic appointments and have been admitted twice, first for 4 days and then for 2 days. I was assigned to Dr Fahy at my booking in appointment at 12 weeks and I met her at that appointment only because she was giving the ultrasound girls a hand a with the scans. The only other time I've seen her since was when I was admitted for kidney pronlems, she saw me on the second morning as part of her rounds and had a look at my chart. The other consultants seem to come around every morning to see their inpatients. Any other time I've been seen, it has been by whatever doctor is on call at the time. To be honest, I don't mind because the care I have received has been fine but I was just wondering, is it normal to hardly ever see your consultant during pregnancy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, normal. I think i saw my consultant once on my first pregnancy, he showed up at the birth to check all was ok. It was, so he went on his way.

I've not seen him yet on this pregnancy at all... Am 32 weeks. I've seen plenty of other consultants though, and loads of midwives.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭LH2013

I am going to Limerick Maternity as well - ive had two app - Met Dr Sahid once .. The second time it was another doc who wasnt great ! I dont think ill meet her again tbh seems to be only the docs who work under them that do the appointments !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

First pregnancy I saw him 8/9 times.

Haven't seen him at all this time... I might rectify that Tues though at my 32 week appt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I had Dr Foley in Holles St, I saw him at maybe 70% of my appointments, he often had a junior doctor with him as well. I didn't have any doctor there at the birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

On my fist I was with the midwives clinic and saw a consultant once.

On my second I was consultant led because of previous c section, I saw him at most of my appointments, think I saw one of his team twice. He wasn't at the birth.

This pregnancy I have only seen a consultant once but it wasn't the one I was assigned, it was one of her team. I'm changing to the Rotunda from tomorrow so will see how the rest of the pregnancy pans out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

First pregnancy only ever seen a member of his team until one day i was being admitted at 37 weeks for high temp. I was in the assesment room when he came in to get a chart and noticed my chart (all charts colour coded per consultant) so he just asked me how i was looked over my chart, had a chat with midwife and was gone.
    Didnt see him at all after that and now at 31 weeks again have only seen a member of his team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

First pregnancy never saw the consultant, saw the registrar once, then only the midwives (which was perfect as pretty much same care but less waiting times).

This pregnancy I've seen her once at 20 weeks, and I think I have to see her again at 40 weeks, which is in 2 weeks time. Apart from that, again I just saw the gp and midwives so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

I'm 23 weeks and have only had one hospital appointment. Met with nurse and lady who did the scan that was it. Next hospital appointment not until 28 weeks when i have second scan. Hope to meet consultant then, first pregnancy in Mullingar. Have had doctors appoinments monthly though. Maybe that's just the way they do it here?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I met with my midwife on Saturday (going for midwife led care) but she told me the amount of women that think their consultant led care is done primarily by a consultant is shocking. I was told that in most cases you might only see them once or twice, but not at all is quite normal. They don't usually even assist in delivery unless there is a problem.
    Would be my opinion that if they only show up when there's an issue, you probably don't want to see them :P

i have heard nothing about midlife lead care or any options around what way to go, i was asked what hospital i wanted to go to and was i going public or private, that was it. haven't seen midwife either. I wonder is this normal for Mullingar?

Do people with midwife lead care go to their g.p often? and if not how often do you have hospital appointments?

• Advertisement

Mac0783 wrote: »
    i have heard nothing about midlife lead care or any options around what way to go, i was asked what hospital i wanted to go to and was i going public or private, that was it. haven't seen midwife either. I wonder is this normal for Mullingar?

Do people with midwife lead care go to their g.p often? and if not how often do you have hospital appointments?

I saw my GP at 12 weeks, my midwife at 14 weeks, have to see my GP again at 16 weeks, my midwife again at 20 weeks, GP at 24, midwife at 30 and then every fortnight between the two.
    It's public care for me, I get my own private room to give birth in, with HUGE birthing pool, floor mats, beanbags and those big bouncy ball things. Got a double pull-out couch for anyone who wants to stay over, TV, DVD player, CD player, kettle and toaster, private en-suite AND my partner is allowed, and advised to sleep with me for the three nights I'm there.
    I've been advised to bring some candles for the bath and shorts for my partner to get into the tub with me (partner is very skeptical about getting into the tub with me naked in front of midwives :P ). I'm allowed as many people as I want in the room for the birth, get a shot of pethidine and my Gas&Air.
    Midwife will call out to my house and make sure I'm alright once a week for four weeks after I give birth as well!

Shashabear that sounds amazing! Where are you giving birth??

Mac0783 wrote: »
    Shashabear that sounds amazing! Where are you giving birth??

In Cavan General, in the MLU!
    It sounds divine compared to what my mother had convinced me I was in for! The midwives are absolute darlings, I have yet to meet anyone in there that wasn't clearly in love with every child, and the dozens of corkboards around the halls with thank-you cards and pics of babies was lovely! The room is fab as well, there's EASILY enough room in there for about 10 people to be comfortable! They only book two women every month to make sure that they don't have more labours than they can handle, so it's a very personal experience.

And free, let's not forget that!
    If I decide in labour that I want the epidural or a c-section is needed, I'll simply be wheeled to the general labour ward and seen to there. Can't understand why doctors are not suggesting this option more! The care (medically) is no different, since you mostly, if not always, deal with midwives in consultant care as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

That sounds incredible!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I've been advised to bring some candles for the bath and shorts for my partner to get into the tub with me (partner is very skeptical about getting into the tub with me naked in front of midwives :P ).

Ha! Mine's the same, I'm hoping to use the pool (Domino in the Coombe) and I have been having a hard time to convince himself that he'll have to get in the pool with me!

olaola wrote: »
    Ha! Mine's the same, I'm hoping to use the pool (Domino in the Coombe) and I have been having a hard time to convince himself that he'll have to get in the pool with me!

He has no problem getting in, he's just worried that he might have a "hard" time getting out! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I saw my GP at 12 weeks, my midwife at 14 weeks, have to see my GP again at 16 weeks, my midwife again at 20 weeks, GP at 24, midwife at 30 and then every fortnight between the two.
    It's public care for me, I get my own private room to give birth in, with HUGE birthing pool, floor mats, beanbags and those big bouncy ball things. Got a double pull-out couch for anyone who wants to stay over, TV, DVD player, CD player, kettle and toaster, private en-suite AND my partner is allowed, and advised to sleep with me for the three nights I'm there.
    I've been advised to bring some candles for the bath and shorts for my partner to get into the tub with me (partner is very skeptical about getting into the tub with me naked in front of midwives :P ). I'm allowed as many people as I want in the room for the birth, get a shot of pethidine and my Gas&Air.
    Midwife will call out to my house and make sure I'm alright once a week for four weeks after I give birth as well!

That sounds fab! I was mad for a birthing pool to the point where I was insisting on a home birth where I would rent the pool myself cos there's none in limerick but because I tested positive for group b strep, they wouldn't allow me :( From what I've heard, the best they can do in limerick is a home birthing suite where all the equipment is hidden and there is a shower but that's subject to availability on the day :( Other than that it's just the bog standard room. I would have assumed that every delivery room would have an ensuite toilet/shower but from what I hear, this isn't the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Right Kerry has 1 bath, it's off the pre labour ward so not at all relaxing. It has a tv with DVD player again in pre labour ward to be shared between everyone. There is a radio in the labour ward I think I listened to radio Kerry: couldn't pick up anything else! So that sounds AMAZING!! There's no ensuites etc.

I have a birthing ball to bring with me this time, and tens machine, tablet is getting loaded with films, and pillows there is never enough pillows. Or food!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There are currently only two Midwifery Led Units in the country, one in Cavan and the other in Drogheda.

Both are supposed to be fantastic. Lucky if you live near them! Coombe has a labour pool, I think CUMH also do.

January wrote: »
    There are currently only two Midwifery Led Units in the country, one in Cavan and the other in Drogheda.

Both are supposed to be fantastic. Lucky if you live near them! Coombe has a labour pool, I think CUMH also do.

I'm driving one hour to go to Cavan, Drogheda is equally far away but the in-laws live in Cavan so it seemed the better choice!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That sounds amazing.

I think it is limerick that has a "home birthing room" to make the whole thing a bit more comfortable for people that want it.

• Administrators Posts: 13,774 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I'm 31 weeks and haven't met my consultant at all. Last pregnancy I saw him once near the end, maybe 36 weeks?

Advertisement