Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Men’s Rights advocates and academics join voices in criticizing media bias

Options
  • 12-01-2014 4:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

From Reddit: This article in Avoiceformen.com

"For a balanced coverage policies on gender equality - Open Letter to the German Press"

And here.

This is something we in Ireland also the UK should be doing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭beano345

interesting vid in the comments section,i wouldnt even know were to start with it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

beano345 wrote: »
    interesting vid in the comments section,i wouldnt even know were to start with it :confused:

:eek: Did that actually air on TV? Can you imagine the reaction if the roles were reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

misandry is everywhere if i choose to open my eyes to it ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Unfortunately not enough men here in Ireland open their eyes and see it. We need to talk about it with our friends and on our fb pages and write letters when they are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Men would be better more like women.

It's mens' fault for causing it too . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

Morf wrote: »

Men would be better more like women.

It's mens' fault for causing it too . . .
    Yes, only male voices are saying the things they "shouldn't" in the clip, in case anyone misses it.

Piliger wrote: »
    Unfortunately not enough men here in Ireland open their eyes and see it. We need to talk about it with our friends and on our fb pages and write letters when they are needed.

Unfortunately I have to agree with the author of this :

"As we women have, thanks to our relatively stress-free life, a higher life-expectancy than men and consequently make up the majority of voters in Western industrial nations, no politician could afford to offend us. And the media is not interested in discussing the issues involved either. Their products are financed through the advertising of consumer goods, and should we women decide to stop reading a certain newspaper or magazine as its editorial policy displeases us, then the advertisements targeted at us will also disappear. After all, it is well established that women make the majority of purchasing decisions"

It would take a hell of a campaign to change it

"As we women have, thanks to our relatively stress-free life, a higher life-expectancy than men and consequently make up the majority of voters in Western industrial nations, no politician could afford to offend us. And the media is not interested in discussing the issues involved either. Their products are financed through the advertising of consumer goods, and should we women decide to stop reading a certain newspaper or magazine as its editorial policy displeases us, then the advertisements targeted at us will also disappear. After all, it is well established that women make the majority of purchasing decisions"

Well there's a nice positive attitude to begin with :rolleyes:

Well there's a nice positive attitude to begin with :rolleyes:

No need for your :rolls eyes" I'm Just stating it would take a fairly big campaign to put a stop to these adverts in the face of media $profits$ I'm actually disgusted by that German advert, I'm fairly certain if that would have been an animal/pet she attacked animals rights groups would be in arms over it and the advert pulled from TVs fairly rapidy

I agree it may not be easy to change things.

However, regarding voting specifically, I saw somewhere in the last week somebody listing countries where more women voted than men and countries where more men voted than women and Ireland was listed as a country where more men voted than women. It wasn't clear if it was percentages or in total numbers. There may be some figures out there people could post on it?

Even if it was the same percentage of each gender voted, it would only be something like 48/52 or 49/51 (some of the very old people may have problems voting), so think there are plenty of men for it to be in theory worthwhile to support some men's issues.

• Advertisement

No need for your :rolls eyes" I'm Just stating it would take a fairly big campaign to put a stop to these adverts in the face of media $profits$ I'm actually disgusted by that German advert, I'm fairly certain if that would have been an animal/pet she attacked animals rights groups would be in arms over it and the advert pulled from TVs fairly rapidy

That is such a shallow and defeatist attitude. I doesn't take a 'campaign' to raise people's awareness. It starts with men standing up and saying hey ... this is NOT RIGHT !

Right now they get away with this crap because NO MEN OBJECT ! At least Germany and some other places there are a few men who are starting to make some noise.

We can start ourselves by writing letters to the programs and television stations and our local TDs and Ministers and saying we do not like it. We think it is wrong and offensive. I have written letters to ministers. I wrote several to organisations about the Manup campaign .. did you write ? how many here wrote ?

If we don't even say we object .. then how can we expect things to ever change !

iptba wrote: »
    I agree it may not be easy to change things.

However, regarding voting specifically, I saw somewhere in the last week somebody listing countries where more women voted than men and countries where more men voted than women and Ireland was listed as a country where more men voted than women. It wasn't clear if it was percentages or in total numbers. There may be some figures out there people could post on it?

Even if it was the same percentage of each gender voted, it would only be something like 48/52 or 49/51 (some of the very old people may have problems voting), so think there are plenty of men for it to be in theory worthwhile to support some men's issues.
    I think it was a newspaper article on the following report:
    OECD better life index (http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/topics/civic-engagement/):

[..]

Even if the right to vote is universal in all OECD countries, not everyone exercises this right. There is little difference in the voting rates of men and women in most OECD countries. In Ireland, however, men outvote women by nearly 6 percentage points.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

This lad has a series of 20 (at the moment) videos focusing on misandry in the media.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

fair play to them for raising the issue

every morning I wake up and check the news on the phone whether it's Irish or British media website/media source there is some article(s) that tries to squeeze in an angle no matter how tenuous either how women are disadvantaged in some way or are doing fabulously in some way....it's as if they must have a women-centred story every day and it must focus on some injustice (fabricated or otherwise) or achievement (no matter how ordinary)

basically it's tolerated propoganda and it's getting awfully tiresome

I personally didn't realise the situation was so imbalanced in Germany in terms of the media's treatment of gender issues, I thought USA and Canada along with the Scandinivian countries were the worst for socially acceptable misandry

the great irony of course is that the countries where women have every permissable right and them some as the menfolk, as well as a media, education industry and government all in tow to their propoganda is where they are the most animated and vitriolic

the most spurious of all counter-arguments is the old "well men make up 73% of politicians, 71% of judges etc. etc.". This is the last remaining argument of western feminists, playing the numbers game - the argument built on the fallacy that just because a man is a judge and a politician he will favour men when the truth is he will usually do what will keep him in power which is stay in tow the feminist propoganda machine

Also in all my reading of the daily "women are great/women have it bad" articles never once have I heard the numbers game feminists refer to positions where women have the higher ratio, for example teachers, childcarers, shorter prison sentences, longer lives - no real campaign for equality there - funny that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

jocmilt wrote: »
    This lad has a series of 20 (at the moment) videos focusing on misandry in the media.

I got to 5:30 and couldn't take him anymore. Does anything of note happen after that? I couldn't really relate to it as none of the ads are familiar to me. The chocolate commercials would be aimed at woman though right?

donfers wrote: »

Also in all my reading of the daily "women are great/women have it bad" articles never once have I heard the numbers game feminists refer to positions where women have the higher ratio, for example teachers, childcarers, shorter prison sentences, longer lives - no real campaign for equality there - funny that!

It's a brain washing drip drip drip ... every day in the media. Totally concocted statistics being abused to claim men are all latent rapists, abusers, etc. etc. etc. Now the latest is an attack on QI for having 'too many' men only panels, despite the fact that women are on it regularly. But not politically correct regular enough it seems.

You are absolutely right .. every day we hear another of these barrages of abuse asking why 50% of every group on earth is not female, even when women don't want it ! yet they constantly ignore the appalling imbalance in education and the feminisation of little boys who are the victims of daily bias by the female dominated classes they have to attend.

Unfortunately not enough men are waking up to the way it has all tipped so far beyond equality, to a point where men are now the constant butt of abuse on a daily basis, and suffer daily prejudice in the courts and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jocmilt

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I got to 5:30 and couldn't take him anymore. Does anything of note happen after that? I couldn't really relate to it as none of the ads are familiar to me. The chocolate commercials would be aimed at woman though right?

I'm sure you remember this little classic from last year I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I can think of a few recent ads where IMO a man is portayed as a moron. Eg insurance

1) AXA ad with the man and woman, the bearded dork is adjusting the seat in his car and lets it roll down a hill into another car.

2) Aviva ad with the idiot doing pushups on his car while his attractive wife sits quietly reading a book.

3) Allianz one where a man's car and trailer rolls into a lake and another man knocks over a bucket of paint. There are women suffering "mishaps" in this ad too but I think there is a subtle difference. One comes home to find her apartment flooded (possibly not her fault) another is stopping her car at a junction and is rear ended (definitely not her fault)

Then there is a Bord Gais (I think) one where a house is falling apart and the strong implication is that it is because the man is useless and lazy.

This may seem like trivial stuff but as someone who has been on the end of "you're just a typical useless man" comments I wonder about the influence of this sort of advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

yet they constantly ignore the appalling imbalance in education and the feminisation of little boys who are the victims of daily bias by the female dominated classes they have to attend.

Can you enlighten me on this? I'm not having a go, just genuinely curious as to what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Hippo wrote: »
    Can you enlighten me on this? I'm not having a go, just genuinely curious as to what you mean.

I posted this before, but I think it explains and backs up Piligers point somewhat. The media ignores and re-enforces the gap we have in education between boys and girls.

If the situation was reversed, we would have the "gender education gap" to go along with the pay gap of course.

"When it comes to education, boys don't exist in the media. Take a look at this.
    It’s online media coverage of leaving cert results. These are from this years leaving cert results day.

The IT’s video – all girls shown and vox popped – not a single boy appears anywhere in clip.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/video?vid=1.1494042

Journal.ie’s coverage 18 pictures. 16 of girls only, 2 of boys and even then they are mixed photo’s of boys and girls. 1 of the only 2 photo’s of boys is of black boys.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/leaving-cer...36800-Aug2013/;;

The Independent. 19 photo’s – 17 of girls and 2 of boys. One of the only 2 photo’s of boys is of black boys.
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/...-29498812.html;;

RTE 6:1 news coverage. Same thing. All girls. Only interview with boys is of, you guessed it, a black lad. http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0814/468...ert-education/;; No other boys appear.

So it seems national media is unaware that boys too sit exams. But, even when it does notice it uses the opportunity to tick the “ethnic or minority box” at that juncture. And you’ll also find that in the handful of photo’s of boys that do appear, even then at times, the girls are central in the photo’s and the boys are on either side of her/them.

TV3′s news coverage of the day in question was marginally more balanced. But not balanced enough by a long shot. It was of a similar vein to the above coverage.

So it’s seems the marginalisation of boys and men is now so embedded it goes unnoticed and all major media outlets partake. I’ve been following the exclusion of boys on leaving cert results day for nearly 20 years {and a lot of other areas too}. I can say with certainty the above scenario in the links I’ve given have been repeated year on year for nearly 15 years now."

Why do boys do worse? Not for the reasons we have been fed by the media for many years it appears

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/educa...hool-1.1591232

• Advertisement

Hippo wrote: »

Lots here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

newport2 wrote: »
    The media ignores and re-enforces the gap we have in education between boys and girls.

If the situation was reversed, we would have the "gender education gap" to go along with the pay gap of course.
    I always hate hearing "the girls out performed the boys in this years Leaving Certificate results".

Could you imagine the outrage, if someone from RTE came out and announced after the latest gender in the workplace study that, "the men were out performing the women again".

I always hate hearing "the girls out performed the boys in this years Leaving Certificate results".

Could you imagine the outrage, if someone from RTE came out and announced after the latest gender in the workplace study that, "the men were out performing the women again".

If men were dominating primary schools like women do - we would have marches in the street, and thousands of teachers fired, with quotas being implemented. We would also be hearing media outcries about the aggressive male dominance of the poor girlies and no doubt wild accusations of mythical abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

If men were dominating primary schools like women do - we would have marches in the street, and thousands of teachers fired, with quotas being implemented. We would also be hearing media outcries about the aggressive male dominance of the poor girlies and no doubt wild accusations of mythical abuse.

Are you for real??

Marches on the street and thousands fired if genders were reversed wrt primary schools?

Where exactly have there been marches and mass firings in male dominated industries/jobs?

I absolutely agree that a quota system for any job is bollix regardless of genders but when you spout nonsensical hyperbole like you posted above you sound like a bloody mental case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

That's stating a statistical fact..... As a male,I see no reason to be offended by this.

Corkfeen wrote: »

That's stating a statistical fact..... As a male,I see no reason to be offended by this.
    It is a bit more complicated, but the media doesn't present it this way.

At the top level, there are some big gender differences:
    For example, the figures for A1s (Female/Male) in 2013 L. Cert are (from: http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=st&sc=r13):

Languages
    Irish: 690/272
    English: 764/450
    French: 591/311
    German: 221/120

Maths: 197/512

This is interesting for two reasons:
    (i) it isn't true as the media often say that girls do better than boys in maths.

(ii) when there are subjects that girls do better than boys at and other subjects where boys do better than girls at, it becomes relevant how many subjects of each type people have to do. High achieving students generally have to take three languages (English, Irish & foreign language) but only one maths subject. If people had to take fewer languages, and more mathematical subjects, the points could be different. Differences may be due to ability or interest in the subject.

I absolutely agree that a quota system for any job is bollix regardless of genders but when you spout nonsensical hyperbole like you posted above you sound like a bloody mental case.
    So really you don't have anything to say, just abuse :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - Do not personalise your arguments. Attack the post not the poster is a site wide rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Corkfeen wrote: »

Neither am I, but the double-standards do bug me a bit.

If the gender pay gap is true, someone could state the following as a statistical fact:

"Men are out-performing women again in the workplace".

Would it be allowed to be said on the main evening news of our national radio station? Absolutely not. We have to conclude that it's sexism and society that's holding women back (just like we would have to if boys out-performed girls at school, then it would be the education system at fault)
    Year after year we get the same excuses that girls mature earlier, work harder, etc. People seem to forget these are not men whose problem we're ignoring, but 50% of our children.

Girls out-perform boys means girls deserve it. No questions asked.
    Boy out-perform girls means sexism and society to blame. Public outcry.

Double standards.

Rant over.

• Advertisement

newport2 wrote: »

Girls out-perform boys means girls deserve it. No questions asked.
    Boy out-perform girls means sexism and society to blame. Public outcry.

Double standards.

Rant over.

A simple statement of how things are and what men are up against.

Advertisement