Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why a hunger games game could work

Options
  • 12-01-2014 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

This is what i think and is my personal opinion so no haters ;)
    Frist off no relation to katness everdeens story.A mmo based around 50th-73th hunger games with a non-canon ending.You have A personal customesible tribute but no stat progession.Every new match will have your characther with no tools or weapons.The same get to safe ground or fight to middle to get the goodies.No fancy weapons like guns or grenades.Longbows and melee weapons.Food has to hunted or found.Plants are more common than meat but have a risk of poisoning your tribute.the game can NOT be free to play! no microtransections or anything like that.Doing certains tasks like a stylish kill or a stunts can earn you ''sponser points'' the more of these you have,the more sponsers you get.Like in the books and films the 'gamemakers' can put nasty surprizes on the playing feild like violent dogs or fireballs.This will be based off a AI stystem,of course.
    Well,what do you guys think??? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Ideas are a dime a dozen. Execution is what matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

i think Battle Royale > Hunger Games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

SeantheMan wrote: »

In general, or as an idea for a game?

Dacelonid wrote: »
    In general, or as an idea for a game?

Both

Hunger games, is basically a kids version of Battle Royal.
    Also, I was suprised on seeing the 2nd film (not read the books) ....that they copied the Battle Royale idea further with the use of 'Danger Zones every hour' etc

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a Hunger Games in halo 4 customs thats a bit of fun. You start unarmed with all the weapons left in a cornucopia in the middle and everyone has to dash in and try and grab one. Of course there's a gentleman's agreement that you wont kill anyone with your bare hands while everyone is dashing for the weapons.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Both

Hunger games, is basically a kids version of Battle Royal.
    Also, I was suprised on seeing the 2nd film (not read the books) ....that they copied the Battle Royale idea further with the use of 'Danger Zones every hour' etc

Also Beat Takeshi > Jennifer Lawrence

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I thought this was for real :o
    Bringing a whole new meaning to the games catagory :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ThatSentinent

hunger games would work better as a game cause if some players get guns and some useless thing its gonna lead to unfair adventages, ans rage quitting...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Aint DayZ pretty much a a gaming version of Hunger Games? :pac:

Just add some sort of helicopter to drop off sexy loot in random map locations and say: "well bitches, there are some awesome loot in that spot, go get, but dont forget to kill each other on the way there!".

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,167 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Aint DayZ pretty much a a gaming version of Hunger Games? :pac:

Just add some sort of helicopter to drop off sexy loot in random map locations and say: "well bitches, there are some awesome loot in that spot, go get, but dont forget to kill each other on the way there!".

Rust doesn't sound like a world away from it either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Also Beat Takeshi > Jennifer Lawrence

It's actually Donald Sutherland who is in competition here as the token psychotic overseer. Kitano still wins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Rust doesn't sound like a world away from it either.

Aye, if what Rust is even more of that. You start naked with a rock in your hands!

Aye, if what Rust is even more of that. You start naked with a rock in your hands!

As god intended.

edit: hah actually misread that as rocket not rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

There is a Battle Royale version of Dayz Mod, working on getting a server set up at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

We'll probably see a hunger games ... game. It will be called Lego Hunger Games I bet :pac:

They seem to be doing it with every other franchise these days so I wouldn't be surprised to see a lego one.

A game would have to be closer to the books though, films were far too PG13 for my liking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Here's a problem with either a Battle Royale or Hunger Games game: the pacifism, or at least reluctance at engaging in violence, of its protagonists. That's a major part of the story in both works, the creators critiquing the violence rather than celebrating it. Giving the player to chance to participate would sort of undermine the creators' respective visions, and I'd imagine certainly Collins might be reluctant to surrender the rights for such reasons. And game makers would likely be a bit wary too: at least in the films, they can justify the violence aimed at a teen audience in terms of Katniss being a very reluctant participant. This would be very challenging to translate to a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's a problem with either a Battle Royale or Hunger Games game: the pacifism, or at least reluctance at engaging in violence, of its protagonists. That's a major part of the story in both works, the creators critiquing the violence rather than celebrating it. Giving the player to chance to participate would sort of undermine the creators' respective visions, and I'd imagine certainly Collins might be reluctant to surrender the rights for such reasons. And game makers would likely be a bit wary too: at least in the films, they can justify the violence aimed at a teen audience in terms of Katniss being a very reluctant participant. This would be very challenging to translate to a game.

DayZ does touch on this though. You can murder everyone you see or else form a team and work together - all the time worrying that someone could stab you in the back at any moment.

If you do have a really strong team (which is 100% based on trust) you'd be surprised the bond you can form. It's awful when one of them dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭Daith

So screw both and just do The Running Man!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Smash TV already kind of did that.

o1s1n wrote: »
    DayZ does touch on this though. You can murder everyone you see or else form a team and work together - all the time worrying that someone could stab you in the back at any moment.

If you do have a really strong team (which is 100% based on trust) you'd be surprised the bond you can form. It's awful when one of them dies.

It's great that these type of experiences are available, but the problem is it simply wouldn't fit with The Hunger Games outside of, say, fanmade mods :) Once you give the player the chance to murder everyone, then you're in a very different type of experience than the one the series offers at the moment (same with Battle Royale, but that would be a more comfortable fit). Franchises far more bankable than the Hunger Games have received video game spin-offs, but the strict, pacifist morality of the book and film stories is very likely a major reason why we haven't seen a HG game yet. The concept of The Hunger Games implies brutality and bloodshed - the two films (all I've seen or read of the franchise) actively go out of their way to avoid that. It's moralised to ensure that violence is only the solution in the most extreme of circumstances, and Katniss (the protagonist and in a sense our implied moral compass) is consistently shown to militantly actively violence against others wherever possible, sometimes even putting herself at risk. I think she kills maybe one person between the two films so far, and that's a huge psychological trauma. That would be slightly compromised if the player was murdering dozens of generic enemies every level (although games like Uncharted have tried to develop a morally righteous protagonist: not particularly convincing thanks to the high body count Nathan Drake manages to amass :pac:)

It would be interesting to see if one does get released somewhere along the line, and what developers do with it - I'd bet on a fairly bloodless platformer or something if it ever comes to that, as opposed to a more complex survival simulator. At the very least, it would restrict you to the 'working together' aspect, and I'd be very surprised if it was anything darker or more violent. Because making a Hunger Games game that offers the player the capability to be a willing, merciless participant in the games would be a rather wild variation of the source material, and certainly not something a game company would be able to happily market to a teenage or 'young adult' audience.

There's undoubtedly the potential for a game using a concept like the Hunger Games or Battle Royale - one could argue they already exist as these newly popular survival games, or mods based on the concepts. But I'd be amazed if a game of that sort of depth or player agency ever emerged with the official name 'The Hunger Games'.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Smash TV already kind of did that.

Smash TV was brilliant!
    Totally reminded me of Arnie's 'Running Man'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think The Condemned would fit better than either HG or BR.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There are a stack of games that lend themselves to it if the players agree on it. Minecraft, DayZ, Rust all seem to offer that option, but if there's no "official" mod/game mode for it, then it is up to the players to stick to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Wouldnt really make it as an mmo either. You are basing you're entire play around upto 25 people in 1 place to compete. If you need food or have to scavenge for wealons in a similar fashion to the books/movies, itll need to be an event that gets spread out. Not all competitors will stay online for it.

The thing about mmos is you can log in/out whenever you feel and with a big enough population on the server it doesnt impact gameplay.

I'd rather a Twilight game.

It'd be a useful way to tag and round up all the morons who read the books and watch the films at least :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

There is a csgo mod similar to this that works quite well. Rounds are fairly short though.

Shiminay wrote: »
    It'd be a useful way to tag and round up all the morons who read the books and watch the films at least :D

And then put them into a Battle Royale !!

We have come full circle ! :P

I love it when a plan comes together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

HA I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit...

Advertisement