Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kayak sailing

• 11-01-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of fitting a sail to my kayak and wonder if anyone has any tips. There are many wonderful and wacky DIY versions available on YouTube and even some proprietory brands of conversion kits.
    I just want something for messing about in the estuary this summer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

No offence but would a sail boat not be less hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

MugMugs wrote: »
    No offence but would a sail boat not be less hassle?

This.

You'll need a centre-board of some sort, or you'll only go sideways most of the time. You'll also need to fit brackets and pulleys so that you can control the sail - unless you're talking about sticking a sheet in a frame up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

I see on-line several products but mostly in the US or Britain and they would be expensive if I had to import one. I believe the paddle is used as a steer-board, as in ancient sailing craft.

I was thinking of something like the sail on a wind-surfer which is unstayed and hand held. Most of my paddling is in estuaries and coastal water where an adverse wind can put an end to a day out pretty quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭NathanKingerlee

We got some simple and small sails from these guys in Bantry - http://www.darrenskayaks.com/.

They're pretty decent and will give you about 5km per hour speed heading downwind.

Nice website, thanks. That Wind Paddle seems to only work directly downwind. A triangular sail would be able to sail across the wind and tack.

I will check out other systems and talk to the guy who made his own. You can buy a universal joint of the type used by windsurfers and this might be a good option with a small triangular sail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

http://www.riberproducts.com/kayak-accessories/index.html

These people do a simple sail, was thinking of ordering one for the summer. No need to modify the boat at all.

The invention of the triangular sail was a great leap forward in sailing technology as it allows a boat to sail 45 degrees or thereabouts to the wind. By tacking boats can effectively sail upwind. The circular one can only be used directly downwind.
    As soon as the storms die down, I'll get my thinking cap on and see what I can make. I think it should be possible to rig something that doesn't require drilling and bolting but we live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

The lads in the US are big into kayak sailing and I would look there for advice and inspiration.

Hobie is one of the leading US makers and again it is expensive but you might be able to build bits or get a kit shipped here.

Advertisement